Talk

Advanced search

how to make kids tidy

(12 Posts)
frenchemma Mon 15-Sep-08 20:13:01

my house is a tip and getting out of hand, everywhere i look there is stuff and none of it is mine! what do i do to make them put stuff away, they walk over things stand on books etc and don't seem to care, where did i go wrong, i can't stand it much longer, i want to throw everything out on to a large bonfire!

Anna8888 Mon 15-Sep-08 20:14:52

If you want children to learn how to be tidy, you must first be tidy yourself and organise their rooms and possessions so that everything is very easy to put away.

compo Mon 15-Sep-08 20:14:52

how old?
tell them if they stand on any more books they will be getting no more from the library (works with mine)
they must tidy up before bedtime, no story before bed uness the room is tidy
make sure you have drawers, storage boxes, toy boxes etc that they can tidy things away into

GrimmaTheNome Mon 15-Sep-08 20:16:19

Telling DD she couldn't host her first sleepover till she'd tidied was quite miraculous!

frenchemma Mon 15-Sep-08 20:22:58

i am a bit obsessive compulsive about being tidy but they dont seem to learn from my example. they all have rooms for putting stuff, shelves drawers etc, but most of the time they leave it on the floor, their ages range from 14 to 3!

Cappuccino Mon 15-Sep-08 20:24:29

we tidy up at the end of the day usually

I help

we put music on and it takes 5 mins to fling everything away

you need to work out proper storage tho - no-one can put things away if there isn't a system, not even adults, so certainly not kids

Othersideofthechannel Mon 15-Sep-08 20:27:35

If you are tidy with your stuff they will eventually get it.
My mum was v organised with things like elastic bands always in the same place, neatly labelled but there were always stacks of half read books and newpapers lying around.
My house is the same!

frenchemma Mon 15-Sep-08 20:28:30

the youngest is best and i think you may be right about helping as i do help her but by the time it gets to 8 in the evening i am usually to tired to help sort out a teenagers laundry all over the floor, she just picks it all up and flings it in the wash basket, whether it is dirty or not.

Anna8888 Mon 15-Sep-08 20:29:22

OSOTC - LOL grin

My house is nothing like my mother's - she is tidy but, crucially, not logical...

frenchemma Mon 15-Sep-08 20:35:33

hmm, not sure if i can use that in my struggle

LittleBella Mon 15-Sep-08 21:17:56

Agree with Anna your kids will only be tidy if you wil.

One day I will be tidy.

However, being tidy is still no guarantee of them being tidy. So even if you are obsessive about it, they will still throw socks on the floor.

I don't know any child in real life who follows the system.

Janni Mon 15-Sep-08 21:19:21

Anna is right.

Reduce the stuff. Everything needs a place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now