Talk

Advanced search

so how exactly is one supposed to give medicine to a toddler?

(13 Posts)
Mimsy2000 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:22:48

help pls.

my 2.5ds refuses medicine. i've tried all the approaches bribery, letting him do it and even taking a syringe and pushing it into his mouth at which point he spits it right back out. the only way i have managed to give it to him is disguised in a milk bottle, but i can't do this all the time.... any brilliant ideas?

Rachie97 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:39:12

had similar problem with my LO, ended up using syringe & dummy, would put dummy in her mouth, sneak syringe to side of her mouth, pull dummy out a little, gently squirt so she didn't choke pull syringe out & push dummy all the way in, complicated but worked 2 times out of 3,

Rachie97 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:45:31

had similar problem with my LO, ended up using syringe & dummy, would put dummy in her mouth, sneak syringe to side of her mouth, pull dummy out a little, gently squirt so she didn't choke pull syringe out & push dummy all the way in, complicated but worked 2 times out of 3,

Rachie97 Mon 15-Sep-08 15:46:28

sorry poted twice, had s computer problem

sfxmum Mon 15-Sep-08 15:50:17

syringe corner of mouth, forget cajoling just reassurance and firmness
otherwise it just creates too much anxiety

far easier said that done, dd was like that plus almighty screams these days she makes up ills to get drugshmm

'mummy I've got the coughs I think I better have medicine now what a great idea'

thebecster Mon 15-Sep-08 16:19:36

DS had a nasty infection when he was 20mo or so, he was having to take 4 different types of evil tasting medicine (well he thought it was evil. Thought it smelt quite nice myself), and we had to give him something or other every hour. It was hell, and you have my utmost sympathies. In the end we had to pin him on the floor on his back and squirt the syringe into the corner of his mouth while holding his nose so he had to swallow. Which sounds like 'call social services right now' but the infection was potentially life-threatening so we just had to get it into him, and he was spitting it all straight back out if we did it any other way. He takes medicine very happily now (about 7 months later), so it hasn't caused a lasting phobia. For him, that is. It has caused a lasting phobia for me of my kid getting sick, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Helsbels4 Mon 15-Sep-08 16:24:56

With very much difficulty. Have done all of the above with my DC's at some point. We used to start off with the reassuring chat/bribe but eventually ended up pinning them down and syringing it in with the helpful aid of a dummy. If putting it in the milk - have done this also grin - works then I would just carry on like that for as long as you can. Good luck!

Brangelina Mon 15-Sep-08 16:25:57

Suppositories is the way to go.....

Mimsy2000 Mon 15-Sep-08 19:01:35

we are in good company i see...thanks for the tips. suppositories shock really?

Brangelina Mon 15-Sep-08 19:18:23

Yep, pop them in and Bob's yer uncle. You can even do it when they're asleepgrin. It's quite the think on the continent, especially for paracetamol/ibuprofen although things like anti-bs still tend to be in suspension form.

Mimsy2000 Mon 15-Sep-08 19:38:40

wow - i never knew.

sfxmum Mon 15-Sep-08 19:54:24

had forgotten about suppositories born and bread in the continent was always the preferred way to administer painrelief

actually a few years back, in London I seem to remember after surgery, someone told me I had been administered one, I never knew

frenchemma Mon 15-Sep-08 20:06:05

worked for years as paediatric nurse and there is no foolproof way, supps are easiest way, but you can try mixing it with jam or yogurt. choose a flavour your child likes, strawberry is most popular. the orange has a wierd after taste. if they spit it out first time, try again . but if they swallow and then are sick you need to leave at least 2 hrs before trying again as you cannot know how much they absorbed whilst it was in the stomach. with my kids i found it best to be firm and hold them on your lap and syringe, not spoon it, in down behind the back teeth.
if you are firm from the start and don't give in they will learn not to mess around and life is easier for all every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now