Talk

Advanced search

What do you do witth LO at home after you pick him/her up from nursery

(18 Posts)
Gateau Mon 15-Sep-08 10:41:37

That time when we just get in is usually quite hectic in out house. We get in just after 5.30pm and I want to spend time with 17 month old DS but I also worry about getting the tea prepared and sorting out the mess we left behind in the morning. Am never quite sure what to do as it's a bit of an awkward time.
It always seems a bit hectic and DS is often cranky/tired.
What do you all do?

PeppermintPatty Mon 15-Sep-08 10:44:18

One of us makes tea, the other one plays with DD.
We tidy up once she's gone to bed.

theressomethingaboutmarie Mon 15-Sep-08 10:46:03

I have DD in the kitchen with me. Whilst I am feeding her and chatting to her, I get on with preparing some dinner. We sing, dance, chat etc. She spends some time in her high chair and if she's happy their after finishing her meal, I ensure she has a few toys to keep her occupied. I really enjoy that time.

Gateau Mon 15-Sep-08 10:47:46

My DH doesn't get in until about 6.30, so it's just me.

Gateau Mon 15-Sep-08 10:50:34

I usually end up playing with DS - and to hell with the housework! I do bits and pieces while he's in his highchair; the rest later on.

CaptainKarvol Mon 15-Sep-08 10:51:58

It's a nightmare time for me - I pick up at 5.45, on my way home from work. DH gets in about 7pm.

I take DS out for a walk / play if it's at all possible, until 6.15. Then I do the prep for dinner - he is 2.6, old enough to stand on a step-stool in the kitchen and 'chop' veg. I menu plan, so I know exactly what I need to do each evening.

DS goes into his bath at about 6.45-7, and is in bed by 7.30, but needs one of us to stay with him to go to sleep. We eat very late.

PeppermintPatty Mon 15-Sep-08 10:52:13

I agree it's a difficult time, especially if you're on your own. DD is often v tired and grumpy after nursery.
Could you put a DVD or TV on while you make a quick dinner?
And then give some attention to DS afterwards?

Gateau Mon 15-Sep-08 11:00:20

Sometimes do that, Peppermint.
Captain, when does DS eat? Just interested in opther people's routines.

Botbot Mon 15-Sep-08 11:12:33

Sit cuddled up on the sofa and watch the bedtime hour on CBeebies. Make DD a quick snack (usually toast or something and a yoghurt). Chat about our day. DP cooks dinner later while I'm putting dd to bed. I clear up the mess and stick a load of washing on after dd has gone to bed, before dp and I eat.

CaptainKarvol Mon 15-Sep-08 12:38:54

Gateau, sorry, had to nip off for a while. DS eats at nursery, about 4pm. I give him a sandwich or a bananna or even just a biscuit in the evening if he will have it. He often doesn't want anything. His 'main' meal is at lunchtime.

LittleMoosh Mon 15-Sep-08 12:53:37

Some days I get home at 5.45pm after picking one DS up from nursery and the other from out of school club. On other days (when my DH is not working or when he is working nights) he will pick up eldest from school but I still pick up youngest from nursery.

They both sit and watch Cbeebies whilst I make them something to eat. Youngest (21 months) has food throughout the day and his last snack/tea is at 4pm at nursery. Eldest (6 YO) has school dinners so I don't have to make a "proper" dinner in the evenings which saves some time. After they've eaten, we play for an hour and then youngest has milk then gets ready and goes to bed. After which I then sit and read/do homework with eldest, then it's his bedtime. After both are in bed DH and I can sit down, eat and chill out

jelliebelly Mon 15-Sep-08 12:54:35

Doesn't your DS get tea at nursery? I pick up ds at 5.30pm on my way home from work - we get home around 5.45pm and spend the next 45 mins until bathtime playing or watching CBeebies together while he has some toast or fruit and I have a cup of tea - relaxing time for us both. Bath 6.30ish lights out 7.30ish by which time dh is home and may have already started dinner otherwise we get dinner together and eat around 8ish.

Gateau Mon 15-Sep-08 12:59:17

Jellie, he gets his main meal at about 11.30-12 at nursery, then snacks around 3pm. But he still eats tea when he gets home, eg fish fingers, soup or something we have leftover from the night before.

RubySlippers Mon 15-Sep-08 13:02:41

i pick DS up at 5 ish

home for a snack and milk - we play lego/read/colour or watch a bit of TV

he has a bath at 6 ish - sometimes i get in with him which is fab and he loves it

he goes to bed at 6.45 pm or so (2.3 years old)

dinner is prepared afterwards

EffiePerine Mon 15-Sep-08 13:05:40

something quiet is good if he's tired and cranky

DS: home 6:15ish (from CMs), snack, then reading/watching bit of telly till 7, bath and bed. DH often starts the cooking while I'm putting DS to bed, or I start it after he's asleep. Don't bother about tidying or washing up till later, but I try and do a quick tidy in the mornings before work.

MarlaSinger Mon 15-Sep-08 13:07:33

DP tends to sort out dinner - so I'll feed DS (BF) and then plonk him in the highchair so he can watch DP, and maybe nibble on something before his dinner. Then play, bath, bed.

It is tiring.

I am trying to do the morning's dishes before we all leave but DP gets irritated hmm

cockles Mon 15-Sep-08 13:11:40

I do a lot of talking - tell ds what I did all day (he doesn't like telling me about his day at all!) - he likes to zone out after nursery - tv/ dvd is also a good option, this is the only time I think it really helps him. Some kind of ritual when you get home is nice - even 5 mins you can spend together before making dinner - story, breastfeed, whatever. SOmetimes I have quick dinner with him too & top up later. Bath together is a lovely idea!

CatIsSleepy Mon 15-Sep-08 13:13:20

dd has her tea at the CM's
dh or i get back with her at about 6.30
usually straight into bath with her while dh or I starts dinner
milk + stories in bed
then bedtime by 7.30

if dh or i alone, no cooking til dd is in bed
actually we did that anyway til quite recently-one of us cooking while the other one bathed dd is a recent innovation...finally got fed up of not eating til 9!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now