Talk

Advanced search

Genetian Violet - has anyone tried it?

(17 Posts)
magicmagic Sun 14-Sep-08 12:55:37

I am in a constant cycle of thrush and mastitis (4 times), have tried everything BFcounselor and GP told me to do. Using Daktarin oral gel since weeks with no success. Would like to try Genetian Violet, does anyone know whether this works? Am in so much pain since weeks that I am about to give up. Grateful for any advice. DS did have white tongue but seems to have cleared.

yummymummy1405 Sun 14-Sep-08 13:55:42

I have no idea what genetain violet is so im no help at all really but just wanted to give my sympathy. Mastitis is a pain like no other probably worse than child birth considering it goes on for so long. Keep going tho u r obviously doing so well

Wisknit Sun 14-Sep-08 15:28:38

try the breast/bottle feeding thread (if you haven't already) you might get more joy.
Never used it myself but sympathy goes out to you; mastitis is dreadful.

Hassled Sun 14-Sep-08 15:35:58

Can't help (but have lots of sympathy) but just wanted to point out in a helpful, not pedantic, way that it's Gentian Violet, not Genetian. I mean in terms of researching it etc.

Hassled Sun 14-Sep-08 15:37:33

See Wiki entry and read the precautions bit - I would be a bit wary.

mckenzie Sun 14-Sep-08 15:48:14

I used it continuously through my early childhood (late 60s/early 70s) as treatment for coldsores. That doesn't help you any to know that but just to say that it's been around a long time. I'm not sure if ever actually helped the coldsores thoughsad.

I wish you better mm. Can you try homeopath perhaps?

You must not use gention violet- it is carcinogenic.

Gentian, I mean.
I asked for it myself at a chemists years ago (for mouth ulcers) because I remembered my mother using it years ago, and they were very shocked and told me why it was no longer available.

mckenzie Sun 14-Sep-08 16:02:19

I wish they had known that back then sad

magicmagic Sun 14-Sep-08 16:05:44

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it very much, also for the sympathy. Will go back to BFcounselor I guess... Have tried homeopathy but no success either but will try again. Thank you!

Blandmum Sun 14-Sep-08 16:24:55

Turn your tits purple!

I wouldn't, we used to use to to stain sections in histology, a total bugger to shift from your skin

there are goodreasons that we now use other things

GentleOtter Sun 14-Sep-08 16:26:48

We use gentian violet to treat ringworm. I would not use it orally.
Mastitis is so painful- have you tried cabbage leaves in your nursing bra plus a warm flannel to soothe the pain?
I found this on mouth ulcers but would avoid the hydrogen peroxide one!
Honey might soothe and has antibacterial properties.
Poor you. I hope you feel better soon.

foxytocin Sun 14-Sep-08 16:31:57

have you read dr jack newman's webpage about using gentian violet for thrush? here

Wisknit Mon 15-Sep-08 08:42:57

I know you've probably exhausted all options BUT have you checked out position and attachment and have you been properly measuered for bra size?
If your baby isn't draining the breast properly it's going to cause mastitis and one of the worst cases of mastitis I've ever had was due to wear a DD not E cup.
HTH

magicmagic Mon 15-Sep-08 13:56:03

Have double checked latch etc with BFcounselor several times. Asked the Health Visitor today re other treatment and she said to ask GP for oral dose of antifungal for myself. GP told me that she refuses to prescribe this. Will ask another GP now and will carry on with other remedies (vinegar, honey etc).
For the mastitis - yes, have tried hot flannels, regular feeding/pumping, cabbage leaves, raw garlic, ginger tea, belladonna 6, massaging but it just keeps coming back. What adds to the problem is that I am mainly feeding from one side (the other side's supply packed in almost completely following mastitis, milk did not come back despite all of the above, especially pumping).
May be I am just a hopeless case for some reason but I can't go on taking so many painkillers and anitbiotics, am so scared the mastitis will come back once this course of ab's is finished.
Thank you for tip re bra size - will get remeasured just in case!

Wisknit Mon 15-Sep-08 15:04:23

Have the DR/ HV whoever swabbed the nipple? One lady I know was diagnosed with thrush many times and it never really cleared up. They swabbed her nipple (after about 4 months) and it turned out she actually had a bacterial infection (one of the 'streps' i think) once she was on the appropriate antibiotic it cleared up. After that she fed past a year having said 6 months tops.

You are doing a wonderful job though to still be going after all this. Keep up the good work and I hope it all gets better for you soon.

magicmagic Mon 15-Sep-08 16:24:14

Thank you Wisknit, I will ask GP about this as well, sounds like an excellent idea. I am a strep B carrier so this might be a solution. Just love the breastfeeding otherwise and adore DS :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now