Talk

Advanced search

Is homemade cake a good thing to have around the house for the kids?

(19 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 14-Sep-08 11:25:46

Or should I just stick to yoghurt and fresh fruit....

DD is 21 months old

nailpolish Sun 14-Sep-08 11:26:27

yes

why wouldnt it be

ghosty Sun 14-Sep-08 11:28:33

Home made cake = Butter/sugar/eggs/flour.
Bought cake = The above + a billion other things like 'flavour enhancers' etc etc ...

Can't go wrong with home baking IMO. But still need the yoghurt and fruit obviously.

Snaf Sun 14-Sep-08 11:29:50

It's a good thing to have around the house for anybody.

What are you making? <<slavers>>

Thankyouandgoodnight Sun 14-Sep-08 11:32:32

Well DH and I are greedy pigs and if it's in the house we eat it.

It's just that I have all the baking books out drooling away and am desperately hoping that I can use DD as an excuse to make lots of lovely things.....

sakurarose39 Sun 14-Sep-08 11:44:17

oh deffo - and your DD can "help" too. I remember mine at that age used to love stirring the mixture and making a her own cookies (well, blobs) out of cookie dough!

Yanda Sun 14-Sep-08 18:18:47

Oh yes, we have a baking day in our house - cake, biscuits and flapjack for the week and lots of mess with my 2 year old helper around!

AbbaFan Sun 14-Sep-08 18:35:10

Oh yes, I am always baking. However I do have 3 lunch box's to fill during the week.

I don't buy any shop cakes / biscuits anymore, mainly because of all the junk they contain (although I do make an exception for Oreo's!!!)

I made Flap-jacks and Lemon Cupcakes this weekend.

WideWebWitch Sun 14-Sep-08 18:36:44

Having gone on about how I don't have time ot make cakes on the PTA cake thread, we have made fairy cakes today and dd was so thrilled with them and at being aklowed to ice them all by herself.

So yes, good thing but only ingredients in ours were butter, eggs, flour, sugar, vanilla essence and baking powder.

filthymindedvixen Sun 14-Sep-08 18:39:32

To eat yes.
To play with, nah.

OonaghBhuna Sun 14-Sep-08 19:53:08

I baked with Dd1 this afternoon, another fairy cake fan, it was good fun and its so much better knowing what is in the ingrediants. My recipe same as wicked witch. Simple. There is nothing like home baking and the kids love helping and eating afterwards

DesperateTooDyson Sun 14-Sep-08 20:06:23

Not in our house...ds is allergic to eggs sad

Means dd and I have to eat them when he is not aroundwink

Am rubbish at baking thoughsad

hatwoman Sun 14-Sep-08 20:11:41

I love baking and was brought up on my mum's delicious home-made cakes - and I agree with ghosty's point - however it is a bit easy to fall into homemade = good. or, rather, home-made can never be bad. it's still cake, and it's main ingredients are still sugar and fat. so all things in moderation etc etc. but a house that never sees home-made cakes and a child that never gets to lick the bowl is a sorry state of affairs. imho.

giraffescantdancethetango Sun 14-Sep-08 20:13:50

DTD you could bake vegan cakes/buns

expatinscotland Sun 14-Sep-08 20:15:06

i always have homemade cake and/or biscuits in the house.

or muffins, flapjacks, etc.

DesperateTooDyson Sun 14-Sep-08 22:06:38

Yes, giraffes, if I was any good at baking!sad

Oven crap, thermostat gone so either full on or off.

Well that's my excuse anyway grin

Clary Sun 14-Sep-08 22:10:55

Really it's a good thing to have aroudn for the adults I would say <yummy>

DTD you could do things like choc crispy cakes (v easy) or chocolate tiffin with broken biccies in or flapjack or shortbread or lots of other cookies too.

Clary Sun 14-Sep-08 22:11:30

No actual baking (as in oven) for crispy cakes andtiffin so there's yr exucse gone wink

DesperateTooDyson Sun 14-Sep-08 22:17:20

I'm good at crispy cakes! In fact ds had a crispy cake birthday cake last year as my friend couldn't do his usual vegan cake for him.

Just sooo much chocolate so only for birthday treats.

Used to make lovely apple flapjacks until ds announced he hated them and I should never make them again hmm

Shortbread might be thick enough to survive my oven but most other biscuits turn to crisp.

Ah well, might get a new kitchen and oven soon so no excuses then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now