Talk

Advanced search

Worried newbie needs advice re: 6 year old son

(9 Posts)
BlueTwo Sat 13-Sep-08 17:17:50

Hello - I am hoping someone out there in MN world can advise me.

The background is that I have a 6 year old sone who has always been a bit on the sensitive side - dislikes loud noises, needs lots of reassurance in unfamiliar situations and has needed extra help at school with his "active listening skills" (he can't seem to sit still and concentrate!) Other than that I would say he is a happy chappy.

He started back at school last week in year 2, and seems to be enjoying it, ie: he is quite happy to go in etc, but in the past few days he has developed noticable 'tics', some verbal but mainly physical - gurning, slapping one arm to his body then the other, walking in a strange way, and he has developed a real "attitude". He doesn't know 'why' he is doing these physical things so I have tried to ignore it.

I keep telling myself it's just part of settling back down into school, and I plan to speak to the teacher early next week .... but does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone and does anyone have any advice. I am trying so hard not to be worried Many thanks, Blue

avenanap Sat 13-Sep-08 17:24:50

Have the school spoen to you about him before now? Have they suggested that he see's anyone like a paediatrician or educational psychologist?

avenanap Sat 13-Sep-08 17:25:25

Oh, Hi BlueTwo smile Welcome to mumsnet.

BlueTwo Sat 13-Sep-08 17:31:09

Thanks for the welcome.

The school have only told us about his lack of active listening skills and they put him into a group of children last year (year one) who had extra sessions on active listening. He did well, and they took him out of this group for the Summer term and said he could be with the rest of the class full time. I'm really hoping it's all a case of having to settle in again, getting to know a new teacher etc.

DS isn't good with change - but he didn't have these problems last year, and I'm just a bit taken aback with the physical tics which have literally appeared int he last few days ...

avenanap Sat 13-Sep-08 17:38:39

I don't think the tics are anything to worry about, it could be that he's reacting to being in a different environment. I would however go and have a chat with your GP about all of his behaviour, not just the ticks. His sensitive nature that you describe sounds very much like Aspergers, which is nothing bad. I would ask for him to be refered for an assessment so that the school and you will know and give him any support that he needs. I would also post this in special needs as there are alot of parents there who are more experienced and knowledgable then me. I am very shocked that the school hasn't mentioned anything to you.

BlueTwo Sat 13-Sep-08 17:57:06

Thanks, I have posted over there too now, and will take your advice re: the GP if things don't improve over the next few days.

avenanap Sat 13-Sep-08 17:58:40

smile

Portofino Sat 13-Sep-08 18:12:29

My first thought when reading your post is that is sounds just like my nephew, who has been diagnosed with Aspergers. He is extremely bright and on many occasions I have had a 10 min phone conversation with him before he realised he wasn't my sister. (they sound very similar on the phone - lucky I don't often phone to enquire about her sex life wink)

He too is very sensitive and doesn't cope well with loud, noisy places and gets stressed easily. He too has some "tics" but tends to control them in public and then lets off steam when he's in his room IFYSWIM. Let him loose on Wikipedia and he's happy for hours.

Definitely worth getting him checked out, if only to put your mind at rest.

unfitmother Sat 13-Sep-08 18:23:31

I would advise you to discuss this with your GP who may refer your DS to a paediatrician.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now