Talk

Advanced search

Bed Cover Advice

(14 Posts)
Saacsmum Thu 24-Feb-05 00:04:31

Ok so duvets are a no no as far as SIDS goes so what do you use to cover your little ones at night and how are they safer, I thought about blankets with some holes in for ventilation but worry that he will tangle his fingers etc in them.

Fran1 Thu 24-Feb-05 00:07:07

When dd was in a cot she had a cotton sheet and a fleece cot blanket, no matter how hard i tucked it all in around her, she would guarantee kicking it off and ending up with nothing.

You could also use grobags, although i never liked them because they don't seem as cosy and when dd started to stand in them in her cot, it seemed like an accident waiting to happen. But i know many people who swear by grobags.

starlover Thu 24-Feb-05 12:54:39

my ds has a lot of jersey blankets which I swaddle him with. If it's cold he has another one over the top.
Like Fran1 I find that if I just tuck them in around him he kicks them off (even though he is only 2 weeks old!), so swaddling works better for me. Also stops him from flailing his arms around and waking himself up.
He has a beautiful knitted shawl, but have to be careful as he does get his fingers caught in the holes. Have never had the same problem with cellular blankets though!

Fran1 Thu 24-Feb-05 18:26:52

Yes swaddling worked for me until dd was big enough to get out of that also!!

But this is against advice.

Frizbe Thu 24-Feb-05 18:32:14

DD had a grow bag from when she was big enough, until she started to stand, then it started getting in the way and thus we ditched it in favour of sheets, definatley great for a good nights sleep for the 1st 6 mths or so, and we did still use it when we went camping in the summer, although she might be big enought this year for her own sleeping bag!

jessicasmummy Thu 24-Feb-05 18:34:40

gro bag vote here!

ChocolateGirl Thu 24-Feb-05 20:51:22

another gro bag vote here!

janeybops Thu 24-Feb-05 21:06:31

gro bag - would only use these tbh.

AussieSim Thu 24-Feb-05 21:10:25

Another vote for grobag, DS is 25months and still in his. I feel more confident that he doesn't overheat in it, and apparently it has benefits re staying in cot till a bit older etc.

toomanypushchairs Thu 24-Feb-05 21:16:06

another vote for grobags!

elliesmoomoo Thu 24-Feb-05 21:17:39

Swaddling till around 3 months then GRO BAG worked for me.

starlover Fri 25-Feb-05 17:04:46

don't they get cold arms with a grobag?
ds always has cold hands so i have to wait til he is asleep and tuck them inside his blankets

Surfermum Fri 25-Feb-05 17:13:13

DD had grobags and now (21m) has a fleecy sleepsuit over her pj's. When she was about 5m we went away for the weekend in a caravan. It was 10 degrees at night. We put her in a vest, sleep suit and grobag. I worried the first night that she was too cold as her hands were freezing to touch, but she slept soundly. Since then I've been a lot less chilled about whether she's too warm or too cold, figuring that if she wakes up then it could be one or the other.

irishbird Fri 25-Feb-05 17:20:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now