Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever have those moments when it suddenly hits you ...

(9 Posts)
CapricaSix Sat 13-Sep-08 09:02:02

Sh*t I'm a parent?!
And, like, I have a child?

It happens to me almost daily. And then I get choked up momentarily with a feeling of both panic & this surreal feeling like I've entered a parallel universe & I'm like, when tf did that happen??!

dd is 5 and it's still happening! grin In fact once she started school the feeling got stronger each time!

bluebellwood Sat 13-Sep-08 12:13:14

Occasionally now but more so when DD was small. I remember leaving the hospital with her and thinking "My God, are they just going to let me leave with this baby?I know so little about babies."
Now it's mainly a feeling of thankfulness that I have her- I was forty when she was born - I could have so easily missed out on parenthood. It's a massive, massive life change, especially for an older mum but it's the best thing ever and I wish I'd done it years earlier.

nickytwotimes Sat 13-Sep-08 12:16:35

Yes!
DS is 2 and he wanders around while I gaze at him in astonishment like "where the hell did you come from? OMFG, I'm your mum."
Tis normal (I hope)

Overmydeadbody Sat 13-Sep-08 12:17:21

yes

doggiesayswoof Sat 13-Sep-08 12:19:22

pretty much constantly

aGalChangedHerName Sat 13-Sep-08 12:20:11

Yes and it doesn't ever go away. I look at ds1 who is now 17 eeek and i am amazed that the tall,handsome funny guy wandering around my house in his boxers is the tiny wee baby i gave birth to all those years ago lol

Got it all to come with the other 3 too!!

SmugColditz Sat 13-Sep-08 12:24:04

Sometimes when I get chatted up (rarely) by inappropriately young men, and they say something like "My mum didn't wash my uniform, so I got into trouble at work for wearing the wrong shirt, I mean for God's sake!"

Instead of thinking "Oh poor lad!" as I would have done at eighteen, I think "You ungrateful little shite, she pushed you out of a hole the size of a lime, she cared for you for however many years you have been puling on this planet, and you are WHINGING that she didn't slave for you THIS time? YOU AREN'T FIT TO CLEAN UP THE SHIT ON THE SOLES OF HER WELLIES!!!!!!!!"

<<AHEM>>

Overmydeadbody Sat 13-Sep-08 12:29:39

lol colditz, I get that too now!

CapricaSix Sat 13-Sep-08 13:36:14

lol Colditz.

bluebellwood - i remember that leaving the hospital feeling, sat waiting for taxi with dd in my arms just completely taken over with panic (having for the last few hours been desperate to leave the place - i was kept in for 3 days). Once we got home (well, my parents' place where i stayed for the first while, i was a single mum) it was a HUGE relief. Lovely & quiet & homely, and me & my parents sat around looking at each other going "well, what now?!" lol. my dad got all emotional which is unheard of and said how brave i was.
damn f*king right! grin

anyway that's digressing...
nickytwotimes that's exactly what i mean. It just seems unbelievable that she came from me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now