Talk

Advanced search

Does your son wear a vest under his clothes?

(14 Posts)
LazyWoman Fri 12-Sep-08 18:58:58

Hi - my 12 yr old ASD son has always preferred to wear a vest under his clothes, even in the hot weather.

However, my DH said that no-one wears a vest under their school shirt and he doesn't want him to stand out at school and possibly be made fun of. Is this true? If so, why do they sell boys' vests?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Fri 12-Sep-08 18:59:40

could he wear a t shirt under his shirt?

LazyWoman Fri 12-Sep-08 19:10:58

Hi - thanks for your reply But are you saying that boys DON'T wear vests under their shirts? But T-shirts are OK?

AbbeyA Fri 12-Sep-08 19:28:05

It is one of those strange things. Mine seem to think a Tshirt is OK but a vest isn't!

compo Fri 12-Sep-08 19:30:05

for our school uniform we seem only to have been able to order a short sleeved polo shirt and a school jumper.
I'm thinking I can't get a t shirt under another t shirt so ds will wear a vest
what happened to long sleeved school shirts? (this is primary though)

notsoteenagemum Fri 12-Sep-08 19:30:20

My son does but he is 4 so street cred does not apply.
There were a couple of boys who wore vests at 12+ in my school and I'll be honest and say people did snigger, however lots wore T-shirts. Does he wear a sweatshirt because then you wouldn't see it maybe go for the T-shirt option on PE days.The older boys vests do tend to be the ones in the sales suggesting not so popular.

yes-in the colder months.

SesHasapinkline Fri 12-Sep-08 19:34:19

My instant reaction is let him decide. Surely if he's not doing what the other boys at school are, they'll soon let him know!

Maybe just say to him "Are you still happy wearing your vest - oyu don't have to if you don't want to?"

As a side line, my DM always used to insist my brother wore a vest to school - even at the age of 16. He used to take it off just before leaving home and putting his blazer on and hide it in his school bag and then put it on again as soon as he was home.
One day my DM noticed he didn't have his vest on before leaving for school and got really cross with him (at 16yo!) and ordered him to put his vest on. He refused and so she said "Well I'm not taking you to school until you put your vest on and then you'll be in trouble for being late". He retorted, "Well you can phone them and tell them why I'm not at school!" She backed down and my brother always says that that's when her controlling influence over him stopped!

LazyWoman Fri 12-Sep-08 19:44:45

Hi everyone - thanks for all your replies.

AbbeyA - I've just bought DS a pack of t-shirt style vests but DH reckons they're still not OK as you can still see them. From what you say though, it sounds as if the boys wear these.

compo - it seems to be the norm for most primary schools to have a polo and sweatshirt for uniform now - quite practical but not as smart I don't think as a shirt, don't you think?

notsoteenagemum - the uniform is a school jumper over a blue shirt, as well as a blazer.

Also, it's compulsory to wear a tie so it's all a bit bulky. I'm thinking in the winter though, Ds will be glad of an extra layer

LazyWoman Fri 12-Sep-08 19:53:15

"SesHasapinkline" says, "Surely if he's not doing what the other boys at school are, they'll soon let him know!"

But that's the point you see. DS has already got enough social difficulties to deal with and I'm just doing what I can to help him fit in.

AbbeyA Fri 12-Sep-08 21:51:39

Mostly they don't wear anything under the shirt, it has to be very cold to put on a Tshirt.

Heated Fri 12-Sep-08 21:55:52

Vests are a no no ime once at secondary. The boys at ours usually wear a long sleeved shirt, tie, sweatshirt and blazer, coat over top if weather is foul, so plenty of layers to keep them warm. Plain white t-shirt in lieu of vest is acceptable (but not very smart I agree).

accessorizequeen Fri 12-Sep-08 22:08:29

As an aside, how are you meant to keep them warm then with a polo shirt + sweatshirt only? Last winter ds1 wore s/s or l/s thermals underneath l/s top, jumper & then coat. What on earth do I do in the middle of winter now??

solidgoldbrass Fri 12-Sep-08 22:10:28

Yes in cold weather but he's only just coming up to 4.

Mind you, I have been known to wear a vest in cold weather and I am in my 40s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now