Talk

Advanced search

Oh I hate after school activities. Do you let them give up, do you tell them they can't do them if they have given up, why can't i just put the telly on instead?

(5 Posts)
LittleBella Thu 11-Sep-08 21:17:16

Have done another thread about DS wanting to give up judo. DD gave up ballet six months ago and now wants to go back - after I've sold her dancing clothes (stretchy and too big, so would still fit her).

Should I stand firm and tell her she can't go back? Was I wrong to let her give up in the first place (she nagged and nagged for three whole months and every saturday morning was a battle. I thought I'd given it a fair chance.)

Does anyone else have these awful dilemmas and battles about these bloody things and wish htat we didn't have to engage in all this exhausting activity?

barking Thu 11-Sep-08 21:24:38

Yes - pure agony, especially with siblings in tow.
I'm usually up at 6 most mornings so peak around 11. It's all downhill from there on...
Looking after younger ones plus after school clubs is rather like running a marathon every day, I look at the other mothers and they all appear far too perky.

MingMingtheWonderPet Thu 11-Sep-08 21:28:25

Beavers ok cos very local and can leave them.

OK when only DS wants to do them, but when D starts school nxt year it's gonna be a nightmare. Maybe one club each?

Hulababy Thu 11-Sep-08 21:29:36

For us after school activities are for fun only. 6y DD has tried 3 or 4 things since starting school. The only rule I have is that she keeps going until the paid-in-advance period is finished. I think when little after school activites should be ablut trying things out, seeing what they like and trying a range of things, then eventually they might choose somwthing to do more serious - or perhaps they won't.

I have always been able to sell on things like dance costumes for reasonable amounts, and she has often nearly grown out after a term anyway.

And I am strict on how many she does. Nothing at weekends at all - that is family time. Abnd only 1-2 during week, after school.

wessexgirl Thu 11-Sep-08 21:33:33

Ugh, I had my first experience of post-school activity today after dd1 (who started in Reception on Monday) went to ballet straight after school. She was snappy and tired for the rest of the evening, but she loves ballet and doesn't want to give it up.

If she wanted to, I'd let her though. Witnessed a horrible scene tonight of a five year old screaming and clinging to her mother, who was adamant they were NOT GOING HOME UNTIL SHE'D DONE HER LESSON. I found that quite upsetting tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now