Talk

Advanced search

What did you get your baby for their first birthday?

(25 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Tue 09-Sep-08 22:55:29

DS is one in a few weeks, I'm starting to think of a good pressie. What did you buy yours? I'm looking for inspiration, thanks!

Tommy Tue 09-Sep-08 23:01:04

DS1 got a push along wooden brick trolley (vital kit for every one year old I think grin)

DS2 got a load of balls for a ball pit

DS3 got a little rocking horse type thing

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Sep-08 23:02:15

ds1 got a ball pit that has been used about twice.

no idea what to get for ds2

RambleOn Tue 09-Sep-08 23:02:44

A wheelybug - still in daily use a year later - great buy smile

themoon66 Tue 09-Sep-08 23:03:03

Push along wooden brick trolley and a shape sorter from what I can recall.

And a home made victoria sponge bun with one candle stuck in.

technics Tue 09-Sep-08 23:03:07

we got our DS a trike he loves it!

Thomcat Tue 09-Sep-08 23:13:56

I've bought DD3 who is 1 in a couple of weeks:

- a jar you store sun in that glows during the night (her middle name is Rae after the sun rays that were pouring in throught the trees in through the window as I was in labour)

- she loves taggie blankets so bought her 2 new ons, both personalised with her name and DOB

- a personalised t-shirt

- a first birthday cake charm from Links for her charm bracelet (she'll probably never wear but got all 3 girls them)

- a new outfit to wear for the family gathering

My mum is getting her a beautiful lamp for her room and other little bits and pieces

My sister got her a steiff collectors bear

My MIL a baby walker musical activity thing

My BF - a rattle / teether with her birthstone in it

Chaotica Wed 10-Sep-08 00:26:10

DD got a swing (full size, but with a baby seat).

Just wondering what to get DS...

drivinmecrazy Wed 10-Sep-08 00:31:14

DD1 got good quality push along brick trolley and wooden trike. DD2 got given the same toys (4 year gap so DD1 had outgrown them). DD2 none the wiser. Now 3 & 7 and still fight over the trike - fantastic buy

Clary Wed 10-Sep-08 00:36:23

Got DS1 a slide for the garden. It's still there actually tho he's 9 now! But they use it now and then.

DD got talkign LaLa. DS2 got little tykes rocker thing, again still in occasional use in garden.

We like big garden toys for b/days as they are all spring/summer (sandpit, mini trampoline, pop-up tents, scooter, bike).

But at 1st Christmas I got them a really nice book (eg anthology of nursery rhymes) and wrote in it as a keeping gift.

Amethyst86 Wed 10-Sep-08 18:34:24

DS got a cash deposit in his own bank account, a Real Madrid Football Strip and various toys.

DD got a Lalique heart necklace in blue as her birth stone is sapphire. I wanted to mark it as a special birthday for when she was older. Also a big cuddly rag doll with her name and birthday embroidered on it.

CostaRicanCod Wed 10-Sep-08 18:39:57

nothing
get yoursleves a ngiht out

elkiedee Wed 10-Sep-08 19:02:38

We celebrated with a picnic in the park to which we invited friends with and without children, including some teenagers who adore DS. I didn't get him presents specifically but other people gave him some toys, books, a dustpan and brush - he's fascinated by the household ones - and some strawberries (from my sister). A 9 year old brat who came was most unimpressed by the strawberries but DS didn't care, he really enjoyed them.

At this stage we would get him toys and books and clothes as and when, when he's ready to appreciate proper presents we'll get him them, I expect.

SquiffyHock Wed 10-Sep-08 19:09:36

DS - a little Tikes police car. This still gets loads of use now.

DD - A wheely bug whic she still loves a year later.

verylapsedrunner Wed 10-Sep-08 19:11:29

Nothing

MerryMarigold Wed 10-Sep-08 19:13:47

a ball that you blow up with a straw, kind of like a small version of a birthing ball. he loved it very much, and is still into it. i wouldn't spend a lot, they couldn't care less. he has a november birthday, so i spent more money the following summer on some outdoor toys, like a trike.

nickytwotimes Wed 10-Sep-08 19:14:48

Nothing here either. Waste of money.

FeelingLucky Wed 10-Sep-08 19:16:28

We bought her a helium balloon and one of those tacky cards which plays 'happy birthday' when you open it - this was her most successful present and we keep them both in her memory box.

We also celebrated by taking her swimming for the first time, followed by a trip to London Zoo and we bought ourselves annual membership to the zoo so DD can go as many times as she likes without it burning a huge whole in our wallet each time.

Family bought her wheelybug (which 3 months later she still doesn't play with), books, toys, clothes, etc.

andiem Wed 10-Sep-08 19:18:14

a paddling pool because we needed a new one the foxes got the old one the year before

branflake81 Wed 10-Sep-08 19:41:43

Nothing. Is that terrible? blush. I figured she'd never know and I'd save my money for when she was older and more aware.

snickersnack Wed 10-Sep-08 19:43:50

ds got a hideous plastic garage. Which he loves very much.

dd got a mini wooden rocking horse. Which is still very much played with 3 years on.

Divvy Wed 10-Sep-08 19:45:51

A stair gate! wink

cat64 Wed 10-Sep-08 20:16:51

Message withdrawn

PeppermintPatty Wed 10-Sep-08 20:28:08

A toy train
A rocking moose (from ikea)

Tinkjon Wed 10-Sep-08 20:59:09

DD had a mini-rocking horse (a brilliant one with a back to it so that they can sit in it unaided.

DS (1 on Saturday) needs nothing really, 'cos his big sister had it all! We've got him a baby record book which we'll fill in later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now