Talk

Advanced search

Help !! Need help with feeding !

(3 Posts)
mummyrazzle Tue 09-Sep-08 20:42:20

My daughter is coming on to 7 months and have cut her milk down to morning and bedtime only. Am I wrong ? Am being told off by my parents for this ! She is having breakfast, lunch and a dinner with water instead of usual milk - don't know if this is wrong !?!?!?! Advice please.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 09-Sep-08 20:47:40

imo for the first year they should be having several breast or formula feeds, alongside some food once they are weaned.

From 6-12 months the food isn't the major part of their diet, it should still be mainly milk based.

I would suggest offering her one or two extra milk feeds during the day. Both my dds started to cut down on milk (I was offering breast and formula by that stage) around 10 months.

Not so long ago it was common to cut down milk feeds drastically from 6 months onwards (according to my mother anyway)

Perhaps ask your HV for further advice.

noramum Wed 10-Sep-08 14:04:43

From 6 months onwards a baby should drink a minimum of a pint of formula or as many breastfeeds as it wants.

Most nutritions and vitamins are coming from milk not food, esp. as at this age a lot of food isn't really used by the body. If you would give your DD fingerfood you would see a lot coming out as it went in (my 14 months DD still produces carrot pieces in her nappy).

I would speak to a HV about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now