Talk

Advanced search

What should I teach my DS (2.6)?

(4 Posts)
crokky Tue 09-Sep-08 12:55:02

I don't know what I should be "teaching" my 2.6 year old DS. I don't want to push him or anything like that but it is very obvious that he wants to learn things. He is my eldest so I haven't done this before.

I am ashamed to admit what he has learnt (himself, without me knowing, but I will...blush

-He's learnt large parts of the dialogue to a Thomas DVD that I have been playing a lot recently (I have a baby so I do need to occupy DS). He says the words just before the DVD does
-He's learnt the names (from books, plastic toys and DVD/TV) of almost 50 characters from Thomas

Someone in my family (who is a teacher) commented that surely I could find something better to teach him, not that I did actively teach him all the Thomas stuff. So what should I be doing? Is there a range of books that do things that young children would like to learn?

DartmoorMama Tue 09-Sep-08 13:01:33

just read read read to him, Talk about everything you see, why stuff happens, ask him what he sees, just everywhere you go everything you do. Almost like a running commentary of life. You will probably find he remembers a lot and starts to remember books. But you can go off on tangents, he obviously likes trains so how about a trip to the library to get books on trains and transport even if he just looks at the pictures.

He will pick up a huge general knowledge like that and apply it at later stages when he needs it.

You could also do little projects like planting flowers, cooking etc..

I wouldn't get to hung up about teaching him as such.

AvenaLife Tue 09-Sep-08 13:02:05

The alphabet could be useful, numbers and shapes aswell. ds could name all of the Mr Men at this age so I really wouldn't worry too much. He's still young, let him play and he'll learn through this. smile

francagoestohollywood Tue 09-Sep-08 13:13:30

Totally agree with dartmoormama. I wouldn't do any "formal" teaching with such a young child.
Lots of reading, colouring, and lots of chatting. And if he's into trains (and you have the time) trips to the station are always a favourite for toddlers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now