Talk

Advanced search

When to say Mum instead of Mummy

(35 Posts)
PinkyDinkyDooToo Mon 08-Sep-08 14:36:04

At what age did your DC start calling you Mum and Dad instead of Mummy and Daddy. DS1 is 5 and I was thinking he maybe needs to start calling us Mum and Dad. Although he seems happy enough for now still using Mummy and Daddy. So just a poll really as when they start changing over

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Sep-08 14:42:15

IIRC DS was about 6 or 7 when he started to switch - but it was his choice, not ours. He'll probably change of his own accord when he hears others at school using mum and dad, but it's no big deal if he doesn't, there'll be a mix among his age group for another couple of years at least.

My DD (8) still calls me Mummy. Except when her older, more precocious friend is over then I get called Mum or more usually a huge world weary sigh.

squeaver Mon 08-Sep-08 14:45:54

We already get called Mum and Dad (or dh's first name!) when my dd is telling us off. She's 3.9 [sigh]

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 08-Sep-08 14:48:20

My DS sometimes says mum or dad instead of mummy or daddy already and he's only just turned two - no idea where he's picked it up from!! Makes him sounds like a stroppy teenager already!! I remember starting to call my own parents mum or dad when my friends did and I didn't want to sound babyish - think I was about 7 or 8.

MarkStretch Mon 08-Sep-08 14:49:18

I would say certainly by the age of 30.

fortyplus Mon 08-Sep-08 14:51:30

Mine still say mummy and daddy at home, but use mum and dad in front of their friends. They're 13 & 14

Bink Mon 08-Sep-08 14:56:00

Their choice - and dependent on personality & sense of context

ds (who's 9 and a half) firmly says Mum, and has done since Year 3. (Around the same time when hugs in public were outlawed.)

dd (nearly 8) says Mummy, and will still be saying it when she's 80. Quite happy with any amount of public hugging too.

DrNortherner Mon 08-Sep-08 14:56:11

My ds is 6 and I am starting to see this change about now. If out in public/school etc he uses Mum and Dad, if riends are at ours he uses mum/dad, he still uses mummy when tired or if we are having a snuggle.

Tbh, it makes me cringe to haer older kids say mummy. Esp grown ups! (my mil does this)

Twiglett Mon 08-Sep-08 14:57:19

god not at 5 .. he's still little

my 7 year old still calls me mummy .. both my children did as pre-schoolers experiment with 'mum' but were corrected

scaredoflove Mon 08-Sep-08 14:59:24

mine are 14-19 (4 of them) they call me mummy or my first name never mum, they call ex daddy most of them time (we have posh accents though, does that make a difference?)

cathym Mon 08-Sep-08 15:26:25

Good thread. My MIL refers to her Mum as 'Mummy' and my FIL as 'Daddy', even though my husband calls him by his first name. It makes me cringe to hear an adult using the names 'Mummy' and 'Daddy'.
My 2 year old daughter has started saying Mum and Dad and I don't mind it at all. I think she has got this from nursery where some of the staff refer to parents as Mum and Dad.

TheCrackFox Mon 08-Sep-08 17:48:49

DS1 started calling me mum at about 6 years old. Just follow his lead.

laweaselmys Mon 08-Sep-08 19:30:07

I think most children have grown out of mummy and daddy in favour of mum and dad before or at around the point they hit puberty. If my kids didn't stop naturally at this point, I would encourage them too.

I have to admit I have posh adult friends who call their parents mummy and daddy and I hate it so much I stop listening to what they are saying and stew about how absolutely vile I find it. I'm sure it should not bother me this much.

halogen Mon 08-Sep-08 19:31:36

Why on earth do people care what other people call their parents?! You bunch of loons.

halogen Mon 08-Sep-08 19:32:01

Obviously I mean that in the nicest possible way!

Lazarou Mon 08-Sep-08 19:32:49

When I was at college my friend rang her mum and shouted at her. She said 'Mummy, these tuna sandwhiches you made me have leaked all over my bag' etc. She was 19 at the time.
Although she is quite posh and she has horses. grin

DanJARMouse Mon 08-Sep-08 19:34:10

DD1 is 4, and has been trying to call us mum and dad this past week (she started reception last week!)

We have been correcting saying that mummy and daddy would prefer to be called that for a little while longer!

laweaselmys Mon 08-Sep-08 19:35:28

That's what I mean! I don't know why on earth I care!! Probably it's because the worst offender for doing this is a friend of mine whose mother is really quite peculiar and seems to want to keep her daughters totally isolated from other people (even though they are now 26 & 22) and it feels like the last vestige of her infantalising them to keep control.

That's probably all total b*llocks, but that's how it seems which is why I don't like it.

If anybody has any suggestions as how to stop it from annoying me I would gladly try them.

DanJARMouse Mon 08-Sep-08 19:35:28

My dad is dad in public. In private, I do occasionally call him daddy blush

laweaselmys Mon 08-Sep-08 19:36:40

hee hee, in private is different though and quite sweet.

cockles Mon 08-Sep-08 19:40:47

My sisters still call my mum mummy and they are on the wrong side of 35! I didn't realise there was a recognised changeover point though...

S1ur Mon 08-Sep-08 19:40:54

My ds (2) yells Muuuuuuuu-uuuum at me, (copied from dd)

My dd meanwhile is experimenting with Mama, or mummy or mum or whispers mother. She is 3 FFS. Dammit she reads too many books. Stoopid books.

Hulababy Mon 08-Sep-08 19:42:00

DD is 6 and calls us mummy and daddy. Most of her schoolfriends also still say mummy/daddy to. I much prefer it to mum/dad at this stage.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Sep-08 19:46:26

can't remember when Mum (or rather, Mu-um yelled from elsewhere in the house first surfaced). But if she wants something, I magically seem to revert to being Mummy again.

Posh kids carry on saying Mummy and Daddy for ever don't they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now