Say your piece.

<poises gavel>

Califrau Mon 08-Sep-08 00:40:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Overmydeadbody Mon 08-Sep-08 00:40:39

oh god

I really really really hope not

Doodle2U Mon 08-Sep-08 00:42:03

Nah - because they've got no hope of actually catching one and the pigeons know it! grin

S1ur Mon 08-Sep-08 00:42:20

hmm interesting

<reserves own opinion so not to colour thread>

<<but heh @ Cali grin>>

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 00:43:08

All rise for her honour, Judge Slur.
wink

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 00:44:06

Personally, not really up there on the scale of Major offences is it?

FAQ Mon 08-Sep-08 00:45:40

chasing fine - throwing things at , , trying to actually hurt in any shape or form not ok

Earlybird Mon 08-Sep-08 00:46:16

I hope you're joking....or maybe testing to see how politically correct we all are?

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Sep-08 00:46:32

not really but it is annoying.

Overmydeadbody Mon 08-Sep-08 00:46:41

They always get away don't they?

It would be like claiming cats chasing moths was abusive.

JudgeSlur Mon 08-Sep-08 00:50:22

I am not joking.

I am posing question to clear this up.

It is a question worth asking because

- there are people who think that chasing pigeons is tantamount to animal abuse and that parents should stop this behaviour.

- there are people who people who think that chasing pigeons is fine and children who do this are not being abusive or cruel.

I want a Mumsnet verdict.

That I will spread around all threads ever more as THE definitive answer.

hatrick Mon 08-Sep-08 00:50:44

Message withdrawn

hatrick Mon 08-Sep-08 00:51:59

Message withdrawn

solidgoldbrass Mon 08-Sep-08 00:53:43

Pigeons seem to be prepared to play the game IMO. And there is a difference between chasing pigeons and throwing stones at them.

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 00:55:42

I'm really very torn.
Pigeons are vermin and are classed as such by most councils.
Children who chase after pigeons are generally not intentionally being cruel
BUT
By being allowed to chase pigeons and parents encouraging it, many children believe that this applies to other living creatures. It confuses children that they are allowed to chase birdies and are then not allowed to chase birdies.
Therefore,
I think children should not be encouraged to chase these birds.

brightwell Mon 08-Sep-08 00:57:36

I've always encouraged my dc to chase pigeons. I really dislike them....pigeons, not dc, I once had one fly towards me & I ended up being "flapped" around the face......eeeerrrggghhh.

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 01:01:10

And pigeons being chased causes them to flap at people who may be scared of them.

JudgeSlur Mon 08-Sep-08 01:03:58

hmmmmmmm at Hatrick's distinction between running around after pigeons and chasing them.

<<Ruminates>>

Rejects on grounds of being essentially the SAME THING with toddlers.

grin

Overmydeadbody Mon 08-Sep-08 01:04:13

See DifferentID I really do think children can and do discriminate.

They would understand that it's ok to chase pidgeons but not ok to chase ducks or the chickens in granny's garden.

Or, at least, my DS who's 5 doesn't have a problem discriminating. Maybe it is because pigeons fly away so quickly?

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 01:07:11

But at the age when they are learning what is and isn't appropriate many chidren are not quite capable of understanding that there are lots of types of birdies. they may say that all birds are ducks or just use "birdie" to lump them all together.

JudgeSlur Mon 08-Sep-08 01:09:12

<itchy fingers at wanting to put own view>

Swans don't move. BE warned.
Some ducks are surprisingly tame and don't move.
That surprises some children.
The children just stop, bemused and then run away themselves.

differentID Mon 08-Sep-08 01:12:01

Just wait till they try it with geese. grin
Oh the phobia geese gave my sister from age 3 when she chased some pigeons into a group of ducks and geese. She hates all things avian, except for her own chickens.
<grins maliciously to herself>

UmSami Mon 08-Sep-08 01:13:57

Pigeons YUK! I'm sick of being swooped on by them...RATS with wings as my hubby calls them...
Small children (toddlers) chasing pigeons - fine...natural curiosity...they wanna touch EVERYTHING...I'm glad it turns into a 'chase' as I wouldn't want my precious little angel touching one of THOSE disease infested creatures (poor pigeon LOL)
Bigger kids...propper chase to make them fly and scare them...not so fine...they're old enough to know better...even rats with wings deserve a break...and what's more the damn creatures always seem to fly towards me angry
Any child throwing stones at any animal...NOT FINE...EVER

JudgeSlur Mon 08-Sep-08 01:14:09

Geese.

<whispers>

The geese hate us. They wish us ill will. I don't know what fucker once pissed them off, but good god they know how to hold a grudge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now