Talk

Advanced search

A good sling for carrying older baby on hip?

(10 Posts)
Tinkjon Sun 07-Sep-08 21:47:19

DS is going to be 1 next week (where did that go?!) and I want a sling for carrying him on my hip - hands-free if at all poss. I don't like the Hippychick hip seat and I don't like the Quinny Curbb as the strap really cuts into my neck. I've seen a nice one that carries up to 18 months old, but want one that's going to last longer than that, ideally. Any suggestions, ladies?

cmotdibbler Sun 07-Sep-08 21:51:42

You can use an Ergo or a MeiTai to do handsfree hip carries. They have the advantage that you can do front and back carries too, so will last for a long time. A really wide ring sling would work too, but I haven't had direct experience of using a proper toddler ring sling, only a regular one.

thisisyesterday Sun 07-Sep-08 21:51:47

a nice ring sling would work.

lots of great ones on sa sa slings

or something like this one maybe?

sa sa slings hire stuff out too, so handy if you wanted to try it first

Tinkjon Mon 08-Sep-08 12:54:12

Thank, people! Are they easy to put baby in by yourself? I really struggled to get DS into the Quinny by myself...

cmotdibbler Mon 08-Sep-08 12:59:06

ring slings are super easy. Mei tais take a little practice, but then are dead easy. I had a bit more trouble with the Ergo, but I''m not good with clips.

If you can get to a SlingMeet, then you can try other peoples slings out which is really handy.

RubySlippers Mon 08-Sep-08 13:00:13

have a look here

Tinkjon Tue 09-Sep-08 11:57:49

Just looked at that link, Ruby - did you decide on one in the end?

RubySlippers Tue 09-Sep-08 11:59:22

am wavering - think the patapum back carrier looks like the best option

and you?

boogiewoogie Tue 09-Sep-08 15:21:13

Try the mamaway baby ring sling. We use it with dd who is 10 months and about 10kg I think. I swear it is the best £35 on a baby equipment that we have spent and so much better than the baby carriers with buckles and what not. It's very compact as well so small enough to carry in your handbag if you're not using it. Go on to

Mamaway and select from an abundance of colours.

We use the hip carrying position which is very simple to do if you follow the VCD.

Tinkjon Tue 09-Sep-08 16:25:42

Don't think a back carrier would work with us, Ruby, as he wants to be more with me and see what I'm doing. It's for when he's whiny at home, not when we're out and about - I always use a buggy then.

That Mamaway sling does look nice, but it only goes up to babies of 18 months

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now