Talk

Advanced search

whingy, whiney and baby voices

(8 Posts)
julesrose Sun 07-Sep-08 19:41:34

My 5yr old DD is doing this far too often. So - how can I get her to stop as my brain cannot bear it any longer!

franke Sun 07-Sep-08 19:46:25

Tell her you can't hear her when she talks to you in that voice. My dd is the same - I just tell her straight. I know it's a phase that she'll grow out of, but I like to think I'm helping her along a little smile

Tommy Sun 07-Sep-08 19:47:26

don't know but please let me know when you find out as DS1's habit hasn't gone yet and he's 6 angry

LostGirl Mon 08-Sep-08 08:00:23

I thought is was just mine! Watching with interest that someone has had more successful tactics than me!

julesrose Mon 08-Sep-08 10:00:33

Surely someone has found a solution!
I have tried ignoring it, telling her I can't hear her. No difference! Ahhhh! I am thinking of bribing her - is that terrible?!
When do they grow out of it?

EllieG Mon 08-Sep-08 10:04:42

DSD does this and she is nearly 10! I tell her - 'sorry, I can't really understand that voice too easily, could we hear it again in your proper big girl voice please' She is growing out of it but it still surfaces from time to time when she is feeling the need to be a baby (we have a 4 month old now and DSD finds this hard). Try to give her reassurance but mostly just ignore it. Is sooooo annoying though, it does grate.

wishingchair Mon 08-Sep-08 10:33:57

DD1 does this and she's 5 too, but I remember my nephew doing it at somewhere between 8-10. He's 17 now and I can honestly say he's grown out of it.

I hate it though. Hate it more when she does it when an adult talks to her and she's feeling a bit shy. I know it's her way of coping but still ...

overtoyou Mon 08-Sep-08 10:53:07

I tell them once that I can't hear unless they use a special voice and (here's the key) completely ignore until they do. There's no point saying you can't hear and then either responding, or snapping at them. they're not completely stupid wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now