Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

mums and dads

(7 Posts)
jojostar Sun 07-Sep-08 16:34:02

Has anyone got any advice.. my son whose 9 thinks your dad is your dad because he is married to your mum not because they have had sex and created a child. This has arisen because I have re married and he thinks his dad isnt his dad now because of this. Also he was asking how his friends dad could be called his dad when he wasnt married to his mum. I think he is a bit young(?) for the sex talk yet but I'm not sure what to say to him as i don't want to give him duff info and have someone take the mickey at school blush. Has anyone else had this issue arise????

maidamess Sun 07-Sep-08 16:40:11

Can't you just explain that your Dad is the person who brings you up? It could be the person who 'made' you, it could be a step dad, or a foster dad.

I don't think 9 is too young for a sex talk...depends what questions he is asking, or what assumptions he is making ..

LollipopViolet Sun 07-Sep-08 20:02:27

I think an age appropriate chat might be worth while. As maidamess said, it depends on what he's asking, but trying to explain the difference between a biological dad and a step-dad might be good. I can't really advise, my dad has never been around for me so my granddad and uncle have acted as the father figures in my life.

PinkyDinkyDooToo Mon 08-Sep-08 14:33:56

I think he shoud already know some stuff about how babys are made by now TBH. My friends just got a book and had a chat with their just turned 7 year old. I think if you don't want to discuss sex then you need to explain that the Dad is the person who made you with Mum, in the simplest possible terms

Mutt Mon 08-Sep-08 14:36:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Sep-08 14:38:48

I think 9 is old enough to have a talk about sex - other children at school will likely give him some very odd ideas if you don't give him accurate, appropriate information. I'd recommend "Let's Talk About Sex" if you want to get a book for him to look at - it's aimed pre-puberty so doesn't assume they're very interested yet!

jojostar Mon 08-Sep-08 15:57:05

wow I thought he was too young I feel dead old fashioned now! I'll have a look for it thanks!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now