Talk

Advanced search

Second car seat suggestions

(22 Posts)
Stefka Sun 07-Sep-08 15:26:32

DS is ten months so sometimes soon I am am going to have to get the next car seat. I really hate my current car seat with a passion. I have found it awkward and difficult to use and I think DS looks really uncomfortable in it. It was not cheap so I am keen to make a better choice next time.

What do people have that they like?

differentID Sun 07-Sep-08 15:30:28

what weight is your ds.

Stefka Sun 07-Sep-08 16:19:44

I haven't had him weighed for a few weeks actually but I won't need it straight away or anything. Mind you I am keen to get rid of the other one because I hate it so much! I just want a nice one that is easy to use and that will last as long as possible.

slinkiemalinki Sun 07-Sep-08 16:22:33

Maxi-Cosi Priorifix. Safest on test and perfectly easy to use. If you want one that switches easily between cars the Tobi is a fantastic seat for that but the safety ratings aren't as good.

shubiedoo Sun 07-Sep-08 16:25:09

I'm not sure if you can get them in the UK, but the Sunshine Kids Radian 65 looks great, it's the only car seat that folds up for travel.
It is narrow so you can fit it into a smaller car, so may not be comfortable for a big baby. Most seats only last until 40 lb. but this one should last until 65. I'm looking at getting one for my ds who's nearly 2 when #3 comes along, so we won't need to change our car!

Denny185 Sun 07-Sep-08 16:35:50

What is your dislike in the current car seat.

Budget is going to be your main deciding factor. Make sure u can adjust the position after its been belted in so u can recline them if fallen asleep.

I have a britax which is fine, not as padded or glamorous as some of the other makes but DS is broad shouldered and would have struggled to fit in some with a winter coat (couldnt get him in maxi-cosi or recaro ranges).

You may be limited in the type of chair u can have depending on your car. Mothercare world or halfords will do a fitting for you to ensure safety b4 you buy.

Stefka Sun 07-Sep-08 17:38:07

It is really difficult to get in and out of the car. The buttons are stiff and it's really awkward and difficult to detach it from the base to take out of the car. I mostly leave it in the car because it is so difficult to use. I also think DS looks uncomfortable when he falls asleep - it's very upright so he falls forward when he falls asleep and I am still driving.

usernametaken Sun 07-Sep-08 17:48:16

If you want him to keep rear facing then buy something like the Britax First Class Si. It rear faces to about 13kg and then you can forward face them to 18kg. It is a good seat, DD rear faced until she was 2 in it, she is now 3.5yrs and still very happy with it. It also reclines well when in FF mode.

differentID Sun 07-Sep-08 17:48:49

do you have a 3 door car?

LazyLinePainterJane Sun 07-Sep-08 17:54:12

It's not a model that Britax do any more, but a couple of years ago I got the Renaissance for DS and I loved it, mainly because it had a seatbelt tensioner on it, so you fitted the car seat and then pulled a lever that tightened it correctly so you knew if was done properly.

I'm not sure if other seats have that feature, but I loved it. The seat itself was really bloody heavy though!!

Stefka Sun 07-Sep-08 18:14:44

No four door. Is there an advantage to keeping them rear facing? I just assumed the next one would be front facing.

differentID Sun 07-Sep-08 18:21:48

It's much safer if you have an accident. If they're rear facing, they're much less likely to have severe injuries if you crash because their head, neck and spine don't move as far with the force of impact.

Stefka Sun 07-Sep-08 18:24:31

ahhh I see - I wonder why they don't make them all rear face then. Sounds like rear face is the way to go.

Denny185 Sun 07-Sep-08 18:39:03

A few of the next stage seats will go backward and forward but some cars dont have seat belts long enough to go round them in rear facing position.

Nearly all of the buckles r tricky, think to deter LO's from playing with them.

If DS is only 10 months old I'd be tempted to get one with some head cushioning so he has something to lean on during sleep.

differentID Sun 07-Sep-08 19:45:49

Stefka, there have been some amazing debates on here about rear facing. Statistics from Sweden have proved the benefits. Unfortunately , the difficulty in getting parents to use car seats at all has been immense- in my experience,I don't believe the vast majority of British people would go rear facing, sadly.

wickedwitchofthenorth Sun 07-Sep-08 21:41:45

I've just bought the bebeconfort axis. It swivels to the side so I dont have to contort myself to strap DS in. Only been using it for a few days, but so far so good. It also has a seat belt tensioner.

Prices for it vary but i found kiddicare to be the cheapest.

Stefka Sun 07-Sep-08 22:02:54

I just googled rear facing car seats and was really shocked to read about it! I had never even heard of this being an issue. Why on earth are they not selling them here and at least giving us a choice in the matter?!

Stefka Sun 07-Sep-08 22:18:49

Also can you buy them here - the ones that just stay rear facing that is? This website I am looking at seems to be saying that they only sell them abroad.

differentID Sun 07-Sep-08 23:45:25

I think there's a place called incarsafety that sells them. If you try and find PixiePants, she knows more abut it.

CJMommy Mon 08-Sep-08 00:16:43

Stefka. There's a website called, Rear-facing, The Way Forward (sorry, don't know how to link). This has lots of info on rear-facing seats. There are a couple of places that sell these in the UK. The Essex in-car Safety Centre (which I will be visiting soon to test some seats out for size)a place in York called Paul something (? Stipe). I'm still researching this and didn't know anything about rear-facing after 13kg ubtil I read it on here. DH and I are now in the process of looking at all the rear-facing seats as they are, without doubt, the safest seats you can buy.

Stefka Mon 08-Sep-08 07:46:05

Thanks so much for telling me about this issue. I had no idea. I will definitely be getting a rear facing car seat now.

How do I know if I have that isofix thing in my car? If I don't know it is there does that mean I don't have it? Am having visions of having to get a new car too!

usernametaken Mon 08-Sep-08 09:11:30

Sweden and other Scandinavian countries recommend keeping the child rear facing until about 4- they have seats designed for this. I don't understand why Britax has a huge number of extended rear facing seats available in other countries except in the UK. There are a few rear facing seats available in the UK, but they only go to 13kgs.
DD at the age of 24ms was quite happy to rear face, she just crossed her legs when she got too long to kick the seat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now