Talk

Advanced search

ok I know wrong topic but has anyone been refused a house swap?

(9 Posts)
cantseemyfeet Sat 06-Sep-08 22:21:40

I know this is the parenting topic before I get snarled at BUT as lots of people are on parenting I thought Id give it a shot!!

Im REALLY REALLY hoping to be able to do a house swap, Im currently wedged into a tiny 2 bedroomed house with 3 Ds (11,3 and 1).
I am apparently in the top _30 for a 3 bedroomed house but a girl I know wants to swap from her 3 bed roomed house to mine (its just her and her DD now, son has gone to live with dad.
I desperately want to swap and housing officer comming to houses this week, I just want to know if there is anyone out there who has been refused a swap? And why?

misdee Sat 06-Sep-08 22:28:45

you can be refused if your rent is not up to date, or you are an anti-social person who causes trouble.

we are in the process of a mutual exchange and its so stressful. have had an house inspection, other families OT round etc etc, yet the other HA are dragging their feet and its driving me mad.

cantseemyfeet Sat 06-Sep-08 22:38:01

thanks misdee,
I am actually in credit with rent so no problems there. Im housing ass. She is council but I am betting council will drag heels too. H.A are comin out to us this week but still not heard from council for inspection.

I just want to know! I hate waiting. I cant pack, I dont want to get hopes up incase it goes pear shaped, Im just hanging around waiting for them to say yes or no and I dont know of anyone who has been refused for anything other than rent arrears or "family from hell".

Good Luck with your M.E anyway I hope we both get go ahead soon x

misdee Sat 06-Sep-08 22:39:52

i'm already packing lol. i have 11 weeks left tuill my baby arrives so am trying to be organised.

just waiting on the other house to be checked, and then we can signm everyuthing and set a moving date.

other family are pre-approved for a bungalow (which i have) and we can have 4 chidlren of the same sex i na 3bedroom house, so should be no problem at all.

cantseemyfeet Sat 06-Sep-08 22:51:03

OMG

Im not surprised you are stressed! 3 kids and a baby on the way, think I would be camping in the H.A office telling them to get a wriggle on or you will give birth there!

Im on my own with 3 little hooligans so really need to know so I can rally round help with kids so I can get packed but I dont want to temp fate by starting to pack. Im "clearing out" which is good way of getting rid of junk I have hoarded for years but its still driving me mad waiting for the yes/no decision!
Everyone says they see no reason why M.E will be refused but im still wondering if they will come up with some pathetic reason to stop us.

Once they agree is it you that decides the date you move?? I know you have to sign forms but how long after that do you have to wait to move?

misdee Sat 06-Sep-08 23:02:12

yes you mutually agree o na date thats good for both families to move. due to various appointments over the next month i dont think we'll be moving till beginning oct at the earliest now.

but i just want that 'ye s its all fine' to be done and set ASAP.

cantseemyfeet Sat 06-Sep-08 23:22:20

Yeah me too!

Im not a very patient person at the best of times but It is going to take at least another 2 weeks to get any sign of an answer and im pulling hair out wondering if they will allow it or not.

When is your baby due? I hope you get moved and settled before baby arrives. I moved into this house when DS2 was 2 months old and it was a nightmare.

I hope everything goes well for you. Let us know when you get the go ahead.

dilemma456 Sun 07-Sep-08 14:40:21

Message withdrawn

cantseemyfeet Sun 07-Sep-08 21:56:04

Thanks Dilemma,

I am hoping that they approve swap, the only hurdle I can see is that the woman I am hoping to swap with has a son and daughter.
Her son has gone to live with his Dad now but Im worried that they wont approve swap because they think that son might come back or that she is registered as having 2 kids so wont allow swap as she hasnt informed council he no longer lives there??

I dont know, I just dont want to get hopes up if there is slightest possibility that they will refuse.

Ill just have to keep fingers crossed.

Thanks for advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now