Talk

Advanced search

DD1 just asked if she's fat

(15 Posts)
DiscoDizzy Sat 06-Sep-08 09:13:40

she's 5. She has a lovely little tum and has a healthy appetite. We never mention being fat in our house but she's walking round trying to hold her stomach in and questioning how much her friend eats (not much so she has no tum whatsoever). Don't think she's overly bothered but I feel a little sad that she's brought it up.

RubyRioja Sat 06-Sep-08 09:24:50

We always talk about how little people have very little pelvises (so they can be born), and these are too small for all their organs to fit in - which is why they have sticky out tums (not fat) until they grow a bit bigger.

MarsLady Sat 06-Sep-08 09:30:48

ah... so that's why? I love their wee sticky out tummies though. smile

TigerFeet Sat 06-Sep-08 09:33:01

DD still has a sticky out tummy at 4.2 although not all her friends do. It hasn't been raised as an issue though thankfully. I think if it does we'll just have a chat about how people are all different shapes and sizes and that if she eats healthily then she'll be fine.

SammyK Sat 06-Sep-08 09:40:29

Aaw! Poor little thing, what a thing to worry about age 5!

Ruby is right about the tums, DS has one, I love it! smile

Does your dd or her friend watch slutz bratz per chance? {narrows eyes} Wish I could reach into the tv and snap their lollypop heads off!

DiscoDizzy Sat 06-Sep-08 09:41:37

I love her little sticky out tummy too. Her sister doesn't have a tum whatsoever and DH has nicknamed her (lovably) scrawn or scrawny.

3andnomore Sat 06-Sep-08 09:42:10

my ms is a skinny minnie and my ys is a chubby Bubby (ewell, he is 4 now, so no Baby)...and ms often tells ys what a big tum he has....so, I usually yes, ys has a gorgeous big tummy which is most beautyful....so now he says....look at my beautyful big tummy...and I have a gorgeous fat belly grin

never thought about that Ruby

3littlefrogs Sat 06-Sep-08 09:49:22

Primary schools are so obsessed with obesity and healthy eating that many children seem to be worrying about their weight. Even dd, who is extremely slim and healthy, worries about whether her thighs are too big - she is very athletic and there isn't a pick of fat on her.

Her coach keeps telling me to make sure she gets plenty of "fuel", but the school dinner ladies bang on about not eating too much.

I really worry about the fact that by the time they are halfway through primary school, perfectly normal children are worrying about being fat.

I know obesity is a problem - I work in the NHS and I see the evidence every day. I don't know what the answer is. The people who need to follow the advice about healthy eating are the ones least likely to heed it.

RubyRioja Sat 06-Sep-08 17:19:56

I find blowing raspberries on tummies show how lovely they are - and DH loves it wink

KatyMac Sat 06-Sep-08 17:23:49

Thank you RubyRioja - this explanation has helped immensely with my 10yo DD - she is reading about babies/ovaries/womb etc atm & she says it makes perfect sense

I really appreciated reading this so recently as it made me sound really clever hmm

& she believed me shock

RubyRioja Sat 06-Sep-08 17:24:46

It does make sense doesn't it? SO what is my excuse at thirty-ahem?

KatyMac Sat 06-Sep-08 17:29:03

The hips spread out so much in childbirth and now everything is in the wrong place? (like getting a new toy (think lego/connex) back in the box it came in)

Kbear Sat 06-Sep-08 17:31:31

I always called it a healthy belly and said it meant she would grow up big and strong.

I feel your pain - I have spent the day trying to get clothes for my DD who is 9 - honestly, clothes are cut for teenagers not little girls.

Luckily H&M came up trumps but I am sick of hovering round the issue of why nothing fits her when we go clothes shopping. Everything is "skinny fit" or "slim fit" - where the hell is "normal little girl fit"?

I have no doubt in a year or so she will shoot upwards and inwards but in the meantime I tell her how lovely she is every day and try dress her in swing dresses and leggings etc. A cute look I think anyway, with some nice ballet pumps. Silver ones - new today from New Look.

DoubleBluff Sat 06-Sep-08 17:33:02

DS1 is always asking if he is fat or has a big tummy.
I am sad about htis as i do not diet never talk about weight/ being fat ets;
I am sure it has come from all the emphasis on helathy eating at school.

RubyRioja Sat 06-Sep-08 17:38:10

Nice try Katymac - i suspect it is more to do with a cheese and wine addiction though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now