Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

how do you tell a boy of 5yrs that Daddy didn't make him?

(6 Posts)
astonmartin Mon 21-Feb-05 14:56:07

I hope you can help on this as you really helped us with our last help ple, our eldest son 5yrs is not my dp biological son, we want to tell him but how do you tell a child of five the in's and out's on how daddy didn't make him yet another man did, when he dosen't know how babies are made?

NameChangingMancMidlander Mon 21-Feb-05 14:58:40

Hmmm. Not sure you can only tell him half the story. I think itll be really hard to find the right words that he'll understand without actually giving him the age-appropriate basics on how babies are made. Good luck, I'm sure there'll be more helpful advice along soon.

Cosmo74 Mon 21-Feb-05 15:31:08

Is there a reason why you want to tell him - Is his biological father around? I think 5 may be a bit too early for him to deal with this.? but hey maybe I am wrong

JoolsToo Mon 21-Feb-05 15:39:25

could you tell him he's got two daddies - one who made him and one looks after him and lives with him and loves him.

I don't know the full situation but its the best I can do!

I agree with Cosmo that 5 is a bit young for the biology of it all!

Marina Mon 21-Feb-05 15:43:49

As others have said, I think how you handle this is down to what role his biological father currently has in his life.
If your ds has ASKED about the situation then I think you have to find an age-appropriate way of telling him. We always try to be truthful when ds asks us hard questions (he's five too).
If he hasn't asked, and circumstances mean he doesn't need to know yet, then I'd save it up until he is a bit older and follow Jools' excellent suggestion. You're not lying to him by not discussing it with him yet.

connyflower Mon 21-Feb-05 15:44:28

do you really need to tell him, think julestoo has it if you HAVE to tell him think the youve got 2 daddys the one who loves you and takes care for you and the one who made you seems to be the best route, is his real daddy around personally i think its the one whos around who deserves the title! (in my opinion)dont know your situation but hope it goes well x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: