Talk

Advanced search

Lifting DD up by one arm - am I a meany?

(49 Posts)
ChukkyPig Thu 04-Sep-08 21:12:55

DD 13 mo has been walking since 11 mo and so is toddling around pretty well. I like her (and she likes) to toddle up the road to the shops as far as she feels like going. But when she has a little stagger and topples over on her bum, or if I need her to move quickly, I have noticed that I'm hauling her up by one arm.

I lifted her up by one arm at GP today to move her out of way of door (bags in other hand) and got a look. I suddenly realised what I was doing.

Does it hurt them? Is it OK? Obviously I wouldn't yank her and sling her around. I just realised that when I've seen other people doing this (before I had DD) I was always a bit hmm.

Any views? Am I a meany?

MarlaSinger Thu 04-Sep-08 21:15:23

I sometimes lift DS 10 months by one arm, gently of course, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it blush

chapstickchick Thu 04-Sep-08 21:16:02

i have never done this because i think it must hurt them and its not pleasnt to be hauled around lie that ....having said that if shes ok with it then its your dd your choice.

Doodle2U Thu 04-Sep-08 21:16:23

It's the quickest way to pop an elbow out of a socket - I know...I've done my time in A&E twice because of this.

The Dr told me the first time that popped elbows from one armed hauling is one of the commonest injuries they see.

Popping the elbow back in is quick but made my stomach churn!

cargirl Thu 04-Sep-08 21:16:26

you can dislocate their shoulders!

You musn't do it, nor should you swing them around by both arms at this age either.

morningpaper Thu 04-Sep-08 21:17:43

Yes, friend dislocated her son's shoulder by doing this and it was just AWFUL

I used reins and a leather harness for a few weeks at this stage - it just saved on a lot of injuries and doesn't last for very long

DontCallMeBaby Thu 04-Sep-08 21:18:17

Ooh no, bad idea. Well, not 'idea', you're not doing it in a pre-though-out manner. But not good. My very laidback GP told a woman in his waiting room rather sharply not to do this to her toddler daughter. She probably thought he was being holier-than-thou, but when I got in to see him he told me it was because his wife had dislocated one of their kids' shoulder doing the same thing.

(shoulder belonging to one of their kids, think I've got that syntax badly wrong)

Madlentileater Thu 04-Sep-08 21:19:26

oh yes, dislocated elbows (x3 chez the lentileaters blush)

Olihan Thu 04-Sep-08 21:19:38

I make sure I get hold of their armpit if I need to pick them up with one hand, because of the dislocating elbow fear! My youngest 2 are only 16mo apart so I often ended up having to pick them dd up while I had baby ds2 in one arm. I don't think it's the most comfortable way for them but if you've only got one hand and need to lift them, what else can you do?

Jojay Thu 04-Sep-08 21:20:27

I've seen a toddler have their shoulder dislocated like this too.

cockles Thu 04-Sep-08 21:21:31

Lordy. How old do they have to be to be ok to be yanked around by one arm, then? (Not that I want to!)

MarlaSinger Thu 04-Sep-08 21:21:55

<takes note>

Shudder at the thought of dislocation - boak, in fact - never could watch athletes going over the rings shock

ChukkyPig Thu 04-Sep-08 21:23:15

Ooooh right.

I have reigns as I have leg ishoos and can't run. They are great and I hope that by getting her used to them at this age there won't be too many arguments later.

I have dislocated my kneecaps an awful lot hence the no running - it started when I was a toddler - so have been keeping a close eye on her legs but not given a second thought to dislocated elbow (ouch) or shoulder.

Is swinging on both arms not a good idea either? She seems to love it (not that we do it all the time). At what age can you swing them? I remember loving it - but if I can remember I must have been a fair bit older than 13 mo!

pamplemousse Thu 04-Sep-08 21:24:24

I dislocated my little sister shpulder doing this once, I wasn't too popular in fact it is still mentioned 16 years later [roll]

ChukkyPig Thu 04-Sep-08 21:25:12

Reigns?

Yes I am royalty....

cargirl Thu 04-Sep-08 21:25:36

I don't know at what age it's okay to swing them around perhaps do some research, come back and let us know!

It's probably to do with how much more supple they are - not sure when that starts to decline?

pagwatch Thu 04-Sep-08 21:35:25

my sister dilocated her DDs elbow...

why does anyone need to yank them by one arm? genuinely puzzled
Am I odd? I have never done this with my three Dc's

ChukkyPig Thu 04-Sep-08 21:38:54

Hmmm... I was hoping this could be my research!

Have had a quick google and no joy.

I will try to remember and ask my dad (GP) but I hate asking him stuff because he... (thinks how to put this...) is my dad and can talk a lot of cobblers, even though he is a doctor. I save him for emergencies. Like OMG I swung DD and her shoulders have dislocated can you come and help wink.

ChukkyPig Thu 04-Sep-08 21:41:27

I don't know pagwatch. I suppose it's one arm pushing puschair/holding bags and one arm holding DC hand and when they go down/off you sort of pull by the arm you've got.

I didn't really realise I was doing it...

pagwatch Thu 04-Sep-08 21:45:05

Quite prepared to be odd Chukky smile

I guess I very rarely used pushchair with DD as I let her walk or carried her. And DS2 ( with SN) was just always in the buggy as I couldn't let him out...

Yes . Perhaps just odd

Twiglett Thu 04-Sep-08 21:56:28

small children have very soft ligaments and you can easily dislocate their shoulders

one of the most common childhood accidents is when parents hold a child between them (one arm each) and do that 1, 2, 3 wheeeee swing forward ... POP!

ChukkyPig Thu 04-Sep-08 21:57:15

No not odd. Kind. I am certainly mean on the basis of the responses on here!

I have never carried DD so we leave with her in one hand and pushchair in other and then when she runs out of steam I pop her in the pushchair. I really liked the idea of carriers (got one to get her up and down the stairs although I didn't end up using it). I'm a bit nervous of my stableness on my pins though and actually would feel really scared walking with her on my chest/back as what would happen if I tripped and went flying? Am super-careful pushing her downhill in her pushchair! Even though about buying something to strap it to my wrist!

pagwatch Thu 04-Sep-08 21:57:28

eeeuw
POP

<<shudder>>

Bluestocking Thu 04-Sep-08 21:58:50

My BF's DH dislocated their eldest child's shoulder doing this - I couldn't believe it when it happened but reading this maybe it happens quite a lot.

MARGOsBeenPlayingWithMyNooNoo Thu 04-Sep-08 21:59:31

shock @ twig - I won't be doing that again sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now