Talk

Advanced search

Need your help to convince DH to tighten car seat straps!!!

(14 Posts)
Thankyouandgoodnight Thu 04-Sep-08 20:09:15

Please can you help me find stuff on the internet that specifically states how tight car seat straps should be!!

DH leaves them very loose and hates being told what to do and simply won't tighten them up. When I'm in the car with him I always tighten them up but when I'm not, they stay loose. I need to prove to him that it isn't me being neurotic and give him some hard facts....

fizzbuzz Thu 04-Sep-08 21:14:42

My dp does this, it drives me wild.

Dd can get out when he fastens her in. I nag and worry about my daughters safety apparentlyhmm.

On the whole, I don't let him take her anywhere unless I've vetted the straps first

Cathpot Thu 04-Sep-08 21:24:41

My dh didnt used to tighten the straps that held the seat to the car itself so the seat was loose, veeerrry irritating as I was constantly redoing them. Is that what you mean or is it child to the seat? If he is not strapping child to seat properly can you tell him about friend of mine who had a relatively minor crash and seat ended up upsidedown and baby was fine as strapped in (although seat it transpired wasnt properly put in). ALso what is his rationale? If he is not doing them up so she is held tight to the seat so she wont be flung about why bother with them at all. Wuld he be happy if his seat belt was all floppy and didnt tighten? I bet there is car crash dummy video on internet of what happens to car seats in crashes if you can face looking for it.

Thankyouandgoodnight Fri 05-Sep-08 10:41:11

I managed to find an article on the internet that states how tight they should be and read it out to him.....we'll see on the next car trip if he's taken it on board....

Why are men like this???? It's such a ludicrous thing as it's a no brainer that they need to be safe.

lauraloola Fri 05-Sep-08 10:48:30

I tell my dp to tighten them so that you can still get 2 fingers under. I think he is scared that he is going to hurt dd if he over tightens them but now he is happy doing it as he can check himself.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 05-Sep-08 10:50:44

I had this with dh too.

they have to be tight enough to hold your lo in the seat if the car was to overturn and land upside down.

It's not about comfort, it's about safety.

singyswife Fri 05-Sep-08 10:54:00

Can you not break hard one day pulling into a parking space (you are not going fast enough to hurt anyone) but she will be thrown slightly forward and then you can use the argument that if this happened at 30mph can you imagine the damage that could be done. I know I will now be stood up and shot for suggesesting this one but it worked for my 2 dd's. They wouldnt wait until the car was at a complete stop before they undid their belts so I did this, I broke hard parking the car one day and when they slid of the seat and asked why I did it I explained what would happen if I was going faster and they have never done it again. I will now go and stand beside the wall ready to be shot for making such a shock suggestion.

LollipopViolet Fri 05-Sep-08 11:50:17

www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/loose_in_the_car.pdf

Try this. Quite sobering reading.

pudding25 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:37:49

Is he insane or just thick? Why would he put his child's life at risk? I don't get it. I thought I had ours tight enough and my DH actually told me it could be even tighter. Since then, I always check I have done it tight enough. angry

Thankyouandgoodnight Fri 05-Sep-08 21:23:42

I couldn't agree more pudding and I have no idea!!!

pudding25 Sat 06-Sep-08 11:47:38

Show him this thread and embarrass him that you have had to voice your concerns on here!

cheesesarnie Sat 06-Sep-08 11:55:35

i really dont understand why someone should need to be convinced to keep there child safe in a moving car angry at him.

imo not being strapped in properly is same as not being strapped in at all- so id sugest not strapping dc to him next time.grrrrr

how about showing him one of the carseat tests with dummies.

differentID Sat 06-Sep-08 12:01:20

Right, please please tell him he should only be able to fit 2 fingers between her chest and the straps. If he says- but she doesn't look comfy, reply that comfort is not the important thing here, but your childs safety.

Thankyouandgoodnight Sat 06-Sep-08 20:01:32

Oh I don't even get the luxury of him saying anything about her not looking comfy - I get a 'she's fine as she is' snapped at me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now