loader

Talk

Advanced search

Whats the point in tidying up?

(12 Posts)
dilemma456 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:31:53

Message withdrawn

Wickedwedgiewoman Tue 02-Sep-08 18:37:20

Oh you are sooo not the only one! Amazing the amount of chaos they can create in such a small amount of time.

Only thing I can suggest is to try make putting things away after she's played with them part of the 'game'. and lots of praise when she puts something away.

And if you can't have wine get out the chocolate...

LittleMyDancing Tue 02-Sep-08 18:39:00

You're not the only one

My house is a tip

Have given up tidying

grin

MorocconOil Tue 02-Sep-08 18:44:28

You have my sympathies. The mess drives me potty at times. Once the DC return to school and playgroup, I intend to sort out the broken/outgrown toys to minimise the mess.

Our house is a tip ATM, and I've cracked open the wine. grin

AbbaFan Tue 02-Sep-08 18:51:11

I know what you mean too.

My DH is always saying he can't understand why I am constantly tidying up, he says just leave it and do it once later.

I think he is right, I waste way too much time all day!

Overmydeadbody Tue 02-Sep-08 18:54:16

You are definately not the only one. I have resorted to hiding all of DS's puzzles as I hate the mess they make and how long it takes to tidy them all away (even if he does all the tidying).

CapricaSix Tue 02-Sep-08 18:58:26

I'm of the tidy up at end of day school of thought, unless it gets really out of hand. We have tidy up time either before tea or after tea. dd HAS to help. I can't be doing with putting things away as & when she's finished with them, most of the day would be spent doing that!

Knowing that there's tidy up time at the end, i find I can chill out a bit while it's messy.

Have to say though, these last few days of the summer holidays we haven't gone out that much, and it's REALLY starting to do my head in stepping over things! dd's duvet & pillow are in the middle of the living room, dolls house out, playmobil swimming pool out, box of instruments strewn about the floor, our plates from tea on the coffee table (and the washing up to do in kitchen), sofa cushions all in disarray, her art box & various bits from it scattered, books all over her bedroom & the sofa too, CDs out of boxes, cuddly toys everywhere.
we're running late tonight & dd is in the bath, i am going to whip round myself right now, i couldn't be bothered to make her help this time!

CAN'T WAIT for tomorrow (1st day back at school) to blitz the place while she's gone...

Anifrangapani Tue 02-Sep-08 18:59:37

No point at all in my house grin

CapricaSix Tue 02-Sep-08 18:59:40

AbbaFan - me & dp are the opposite way round! When he's here everything is miraculously neat & tidy most of the day!

Oh to answer your question, my tired old explanation to dd is "Things would get lost, or broken, we wouldn't be able to walk across the room, I can't relax in the evenings....." wink

dilemma456 Tue 02-Sep-08 21:02:08

Message withdrawn

Tinkjon Wed 03-Sep-08 10:42:53

I am exactly the same, I hate the mess. I leave it all until the end of the day but it does drive me crazy. DD doesn't really play with toys, she just gets bits out and leaves them everywhere. She does things like collecting bits from everywhere and 'making a museum exhibition' with them - things like pegs, a wooden spoon, a toothbrush, assorted soft toys, plates from her tea set etc. All things that are from different rooms and which take forever to put away!

mamaberta Wed 03-Sep-08 11:06:41

Tidy up when they've gone to bed - or if you can stomach it - try and get some "tidy up time" incorporated into the bedtime routine (yeah, I know, sounds ideal but hard to do in practice). If DD1 makes a total mess of sthg for sheer wind-up factor (like throwing all my skanky shoes out of the wardrobe) but then doesn't actually play with them then I make her clear up there and then. Otherwise I try to rise above it. But then I am a slattern and my house is a midden. I never was much of a tidier-upper preferring the occasional blitz to regular housework grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now