Talk

Advanced search

How much tv, if any, do you let your toddler watch?

(42 Posts)
Gateau Tue 02-Sep-08 11:05:12

My DS is 16 months and for the forst time is now becoming interested in kids' tv programmes. Which I think is no bad thing, in moderation. He LOVES The Night Garden and watches either it or another programme every morning, and at night. So that's half an hour in the morning and again at night.
LAst night when he got in from nursery he also put the tv on (no kidding!)and watched The Night Garden. But that's a one-off as we usually go out to play in the garden, but it was raining.
How much does your toddler watch? Can you recommend an programmes for this age group? I must say, I do fidn The Night Garden strangely addictive.

Pinkjenny Tue 02-Sep-08 11:07:09

Same as you Gateau, 16mo currently has an ITNG obsession. She watches it in the morning whilst I get ready, and then at night. So about an hour, an hour and a half a day. But at this age, she's more glancing at it, and watching a minute or so before she wanders off, so it's more on in the background than her being glued to it IYSWIM.

Gateau Tue 02-Sep-08 11:09:08

Glad to hear about the ITNG obsession in your house too.
My LO - for the first time ever!! _ watched it for a whole 15 mins by himself last night -giving me time to prepare dinner. It was great!!!

ajm200 Tue 02-Sep-08 11:09:52

I let my 21 month old DS watch an hour in the morning while I shower and dress otherwise he'd be into everything.

Sometimes, if the weather is really bad I let him watch later in the morning.

He also watches about 30 mins of the disney channel before bed.

Pinkjenny Tue 02-Sep-08 11:10:56

It's the only way I get to wash my bloody face in the morning and get organised in the evening, without dd lying at the bottom the stairs crying!

Lizzylou Tue 02-Sep-08 11:13:00

Too much, at the moment.
It's only way I can get them to stop arguing and I can do anything.

TillyScoutsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 11:14:41

DD would watch it all day if I let her blush. If we're out and about in the day, she'll just watch about an hour before bed but if we're around the house in the day, its probably about 2-3 hours. ITNG, Peppa Pig and anything with Justin in it are big favorites.

She's also 16 months (today) btw

Pinkjenny Tue 02-Sep-08 11:16:16

What is the thing with Justin? Why do they all like him? My neighbour and I were having this conversation yesterday.

TillyScoutsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 11:17:22

I don't know but she often points at the screen and says Daddy blush He looks absolutely nothing like him

Gateau Tue 02-Sep-08 11:18:40

who is Justin and what's he in? Never heard of him. Or is it only a girl thing??!

Pinkjenny Tue 02-Sep-08 11:19:03

Tilly - worrying behaviour.

MrsMattie Tue 02-Sep-08 11:19:38

My DS is 3 yrs old now and he watches loads of TV, I freely admit. Mainly he watches CBeebies or DVDs (he is a Charlie & Lola addict). We balance it out with loads of outdoorsy stuff, social stuff with other kids, lots of reading/jigsaws/art etc, so I honestly don't see a problem with it.

TillyScoutsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 11:21:54

Justin (Fletcher I think) is a presenter on Something Special, Higgeldy Piggeldy House (both not on atm I think) and sometimes, Tikabilla. Not sure what the attraction is or whether its just a girl thing but dd's face just lights up when he comes on. He's no looker though - I'm a bit concerned about her early tastes grin

thumbwitch Tue 02-Sep-08 11:23:24

sadly too much and he's not even a toddler yet blush but he has learnt already how to put the tv on and responds well to the theme tunes for both Neighbours and Eastendersblushblush - he does like Zoo days and things like that too.
(wonder whose fault that is?? blushblushblush)
He watched ITNG for the first time this morning after Helicopter heroes finished - it does give me a few minutes to get dressed/take phonecalls/do some work but it's not something I want to encourage...

TillyScoutsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 11:26:15

We also do Family Fun Time on BabyFirst channel if we're around (at 11 am and 4pm). Its all a bit over the top American but she enjoyed doing The Grand Old Duke of York today grin

Gateau Tue 02-Sep-08 11:31:29

Thanks for that tip, TillyScout. Sometimes the more over the top the better for LOs, I think. They don't know, it's just fun.
Hey, I hear Sesame Street is making a comeback. Does anyone know when? I LOVED that and it is educational.

thumbwitch Tue 02-Sep-08 11:33:53

I know it's not the same but you can watch some of it (Sesame Street) on Youtube - and we watch Ivor the Engine on Youtube quite a bit too.

PuppyMonkey Tue 02-Sep-08 11:37:43

DD2 (17 months) has recently developed an absolute passion for ITNG.... before, she would only glance at it and have a look but was never that interested. Now she cries when it finishes and sobs for Iggle Piggle when we put her to bed. I dunno if I should carry on letting her watch it now.... sad

With DD1, who is now 11, she just from a very early age liked watching telly. As long as it's not all day every day, I don't see how it can be too bad. She's turned out all right... if anything, she prefers reading books now.

That Sesame prog is already on isn't it? It's an Irish version, but then they visit the original Sesame Street and have Burt n Ernie etc in.

glamourbadger Tue 02-Sep-08 11:39:45

Tilly - my DD is also obsessed with Justin. I caught her having a "chat" with him on her potty the other day with a toy mobile clamped to her ear. Personally I can't see the attraction either. My childless friend assumed she was talking to Justin Timberlake grin.

My kids probably watch about an hour of CBeebies a day, broken up into odd 20min slots. It's usually while I'm cooking lunch, tea or getting us ready to go out. I think in moderation it's fine, they discuss it and seem to learn from it.

Gateau Tue 02-Sep-08 11:41:46

PuppyMonkey, why not get your DD an Igglepiggle cuddly toy?
My DH bought our DS one(16 months) that makes noises and sings his song; he loves him and takes him to bed.
Yes, that's the Sesame Tree you;re talking about. We watch that too, but I believe the real McCoy is coming back.

Pinkjenny Tue 02-Sep-08 11:41:52

Dd has taken Upsy Daisy to nursery with her today. I won't let her take her to bed because she distracts her so much. Her little face lights up in the morning when she sees her. We had to feed her toast this morning. Very cute.

Gateau Tue 02-Sep-08 11:42:59

I love Upsy Daisy.. She is so sweet.

wittyusername Tue 02-Sep-08 12:06:14

DD (17 months) loves Mr Tumble too! As well as INTG and Charlie and Lola, she already says "Lola!" blush

I was anti TV for her when she was much younger but if I put cbeebies on I can cook or get little things done. That said, I try not to rely on it too much and make sure we go out, read books, play in the garden and so on.

magnolia74 Tue 02-Sep-08 12:17:02

Too much, he's 22 months but has older siblings so the T.V is on a bit for them too.
In the night garden is a fave and so is Mr Tumble but we are spongebob fans too smile

ceebee74 Tue 02-Sep-08 12:26:45

Too much here aswell blush but I hate silence in the house so I always have the TV on in the background which has obviously taught DS (2.1) bad habits.

On nursery days, he doesn't watch too much - just half an hour of Peppa Pig when we are having breakfast and then maybe an hour or so when we get home/before bed.

At weekends/days when I am not working - it is far more than that.

The list of programmes he loves is long which is not really a surprise considering how much he watches but his very fave at the moment is Brum hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now