Talk

Advanced search

Feel terrible, tripped and fell while holding DD

(21 Posts)
wittyusername Tue 02-Sep-08 10:01:23

The title says it all, really Was walking upstairs and carrying DD (17 months) and tripped up the last step and fell on the landing. The back of DD's head hit DH's foot, so that broke the fall a little, but she howled! Thankfully she's running around as if nothing happened while I have a scraped knee.

She's my PFB and I feel so crappy for her

Lazarou Tue 02-Sep-08 10:02:35

It doesn't sound as bad as you think tbh. It was probably more the shock that made her cry.

GooseyLoosey Tue 02-Sep-08 10:05:19

Think it happens to us all. Dh fell down stairs holding ds. Dh nearly killed himself trying to break ds's fall. We still took him to hospital and Dr looked at them both and said "Slipped on stairs did you?" and then insisted on looking at dh (who could hardly move) rather than ds (who was happily gurgling by now).

You do feel guilty though!

Morloth Tue 02-Sep-08 10:51:43

I once slipped over holding my DS when he was a newborn, fortunately managed to break his fall with my body (onto a paved ground - my back was bruised for soooo long).

He still screamed blue murder, relax and give yourself a break (well not literally!) everyone does something similar, they are surprisingly tough little buggers, have to be I guess.

MadameOvary Tue 02-Sep-08 10:55:46

Please dont beat yourself up over this. DD rolled off my lap when she was a month old. She was unhurt but bawled because of the shock. I was shaking and terrified but she was fine.
As Morloth says they are tough!

bellavita Tue 02-Sep-08 10:59:53

Coming down the stairs with DS1 who was about 6 weeks old, my foot just went from underneath me and I slipped down the last 8 stairs, his head banged against my mouth - he howled, my mouth bled but he was more shocked than hurt and I had carpet burns on my back blush

DS2 was happily sat in his car seat on the kitchen floor (was about 4 months old), I knocked the phone off the top off the microwave and it literally landed on his head shock. He was fine, but I felt guilty for ages.

FlightAttendent Tue 02-Sep-08 11:02:41

I read about a woman who jumped down the stairs to save her baby when she tripped over the hoover. Woman broke her back, baby dialled 999 or something...hmm

I don't normally read take a break, honestly!

teafortwo Tue 02-Sep-08 11:02:50

It is ok. It is ok. It is ok.

Have a cuddle, have a cup of tea and go do something fun!

I put my dd on our bed - everone says not to - I know - but I did and she flipped herself off it and landed on her front on the floor with a scream - I was crying, she was crying I was ready to phone an ambulance!!!! I phoned dh at work who said - "It doesn't sound that serious to me!"

He was right because actually a cuddle for her cup of tea for me and then fun day out was the medical treatment needed.

The first big scare of many! At least she won't remember it - my Mum closed a car boot on my head when I was about eight - I still think of it everytime I am near a carboot with another person!!!!! Aaaaaaahhh!!!!

He he he!!!!

wittyusername Tue 02-Sep-08 11:16:02

thanks everyone I feel a bit better now. As clumsy as I am, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner!

LollipopViolet Tue 02-Sep-08 11:27:33

Awww don't feel bad. I've not got kids yet but I'm sure something like that will happen to me too.

A common one on here seems to be the "non-rolling baby in the middle of a HUGE double bed" and said baby rolls off!

solidgoldbrass Tue 02-Sep-08 11:31:05

I had the 'baby roll off bed, too' but my worst trauma with DS was when he was about 3 months old and I was clipping his fingernails and he wriggled and the clipper just nicked the end of his tiny finger [anguished emoticon]. Arrgh. He had claws like Freddy Kruger for a while after that..

LollipopViolet Tue 02-Sep-08 20:53:14

Actually, I think I rolled/fell off my mum's bed when I was SEVEN! Did something to my knee and it's really iffy if I knock it now. So the rolling thing isn't limited to babies...

Botbot Tue 02-Sep-08 20:54:55

I tripped over the edge of a flower bed and dropped dd onto a concrete path when she was 5 months old. She's fine. It will be fine.

RaggedRobin Tue 02-Sep-08 22:52:08

fell flat in the street carrying ds and he whiplashed his head off the pavement. i thought i'd killed him and rushed to the hospital, where, needless to say he ran amok and was his usual, very-much-alive self. that was a year ago. they really are very robust!

Portofino Tue 02-Sep-08 22:57:55

Aah Solidgoldbrass - that takes me back! I clipped dd's finger whilst trimming nails. I a stil nervous about this 4 years later!

NorthernLurker Tue 02-Sep-08 23:08:50

I did this with my pfb as well. Was going going to put her in the buggy and caught my foot so I fell forwards holding her and she cracked her head on the crossbar of a chair. She yelled (weirdly enough she was 17 months too) and when I picked her up her forehead had what i can only describe as blue/grey dent/cut on it. I panicked and ran out of the house and to the local a&e - about 10 minutes walk away. As I ran down the street she stopped crying and i thought she was lapsing into some sort of a coma - I can remember telling her to stay awake, stay awake. When I got to A&E (very out of breath holding a dented but entirely happy dd1) the receptionist said 'what can we do for you' and I opened my mouth to tell her got as far as 'I dropped her' and was overtaken by the tears. She came round the desk and took me straight through to see a nurse. They were so kind - it was quite plain dd1 was fine but I felt so terrible and had been so scared. The cut wasn't deep enough to stitch but nevertheless it's left a small scar. As dd1 has grown it's moved up her head and in a couple of years I think it will disappear into her hair. I on the other hand will never forget that day.

oops Tue 02-Sep-08 23:11:13

Message withdrawn

wittyusername Wed 03-Sep-08 09:36:18

thanks again ladies!

DD is just fine and DH was just PHSL at me, once he realised that DD was ok. Looks like I came off the worst, with a bad carpet burn on my knee!

goldndiamonds Wed 03-Sep-08 13:45:01

I have a friend who was struggling up the stairs to her flat with shopping and baby, got to the landing, baby slid through her arms and rolled down the flight of stairs - baby and mum were howling but totally OK (it was winter, the baby was bundled up, probably saved his life!).

Phono Wed 03-Sep-08 14:14:44

Message withdrawn

Bubbaloo Wed 03-Sep-08 14:29:10

I tripped over one of our cats and fell downstairs(top to bottom)holding ds1 when he was 3 weeks old.It was truly awful as he was in hospital for nearly a week with a fractured skull and I had damaged my coccyx and I was in such a state that it was a long time before I held him againsad.
Was told it is very common and he is now fine,with no lasting damage but very scary and I felt really bad about it for quite some time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now