Talk

Advanced search

recommendations for a toddler bed with guards please

(10 Posts)
sunshine185 Mon 01-Sep-08 18:34:23

ds is 27 months old, i am 27 weeks pregnant bump getting big, like to move ds into a bed... any recommendations for a toddler bed not too expensive but looks good that has a side guard?
thanks!

Moomin Mon 01-Sep-08 18:40:50

We 'forgot' to use a bed guard for dd2 and to be honest, she didnt need it. She'd been in a cotbed so it was small anyway and then we put her duvet on the bed the wrong way (horizontally) and tucked it in under the mattress, which did the trick. Dd2 moved into the bed at 2yrs 4 months and has fallen out only once grin

mrsmalumbas Mon 01-Sep-08 18:47:36

We got the Argos one, it has two side rails, it has been fine. DD is 4 and still likes sleeping in it. IKEA also do good toddler beds. Agree though re. side rails, they are not strictly necessary, as toddler beds are lower to the ground than normal singles. But maybe they help ease the transition?

slinkiemalinki Mon 01-Sep-08 20:28:40

Chester toddler bed from GLTC here has been a big hit in our house.
You can get cheaper for sure but it's lovely and sturdy and I went more for looks than price.

chipmunkswhereareyou Mon 01-Sep-08 22:06:42

Wouldn't bother with a toddler bed unless the bedroom is short on space. I'd save my money and buy a normal single and use a Grobag first bedding set (search online) - the duvet clips to the sheet and stops them falling out - is fab.

You're going to have to buy a full single bed one day so why bother with the toddler bed...it's just an unnecessary extra expense imho.

sunshine185 Tue 02-Sep-08 07:32:37

thanks all!

slinkie, the chester is lovely!

chipmunk, good point on the toddler bed...

thing is we are expecting ds2 and hoping that when it comes to him going into a bed ds1 and ds2 may want to share a room and possibly a bunk bed.... hmmm maybe a bunk bed for ds1 straight away then and he can sleep on the bottom?? on the other hand we haven't bought anything for ds2 yet or gone through ds1 things for him as we are far too nervous ....

oh the possibilities!

thanks again

chipmunkswhereareyou Tue 02-Sep-08 08:41:40

It is a tricky one but I still don't see why you'd buy a toddler bed.

They are a waste of money unless they are being bought because you want a stop-gap solution for a small bedroom/ where two children are sharing and can't easily fit a full-size bed. They are completely unnecessary if you use a bed guard or the bedding set I mentioned.
If you get a bunk bed, leave the ladder off so the dc's can't even think of using the top bunk until they are much older. Not saying you were going to as it's pretty obvious not too but just worth not even letting them see it's an option for a while!

GooseyLoosey Tue 02-Sep-08 08:45:25

Ikea are great value for children's beds. See here.

mrsgboring Tue 02-Sep-08 09:15:45

Get bunk beds. Put the "top" bunk (with rails) up on the bottom - rails all the way round. We have the other bunk in bits in the garage - if you put it up, there must be no way up to it, as chipmunks said.

Not recommended to allow under 6s to sleep in a top bunk, so you may have a while before you can use bunk beds for your two.

If you get cheapo bunk beds you could ebay or freecycle the second bed, if there's no room to keep it.

sunshine185 Tue 02-Sep-08 17:45:47

thank you all for your replies, very useful info indeed! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now