Talk

Advanced search

Crazy I know but my baby doesn´t seem to like me.. Is anything wrong?

(7 Posts)
RadioFan Mon 01-Sep-08 16:23:11

Just wondered if anyone familiar with this situation.. DD, 10 months old has never seemed to enjoy being held, cuddled or kissed. She actively wriggles away. Since she could sit alone she spends pretty much all her time playing independently, and often sits with her back to me! She also avoids making eye contact with me in particular, though not with other people and this is actually what is the most worrying.

So anyone got any ideas what is going on? My first child was nothing like this.

stillstanding Mon 01-Sep-08 16:29:22

I think sometimes babies are just different. Apparently I was a bit like this as a baby - I self-weaned which broke my mum's heart and was generally a lot more independent than my sisters. You must try (really hard I know!) not to take it too personally. I was told once that young children avoiding eye contact with people they love is a good thing cos they are showing independence and trust that you will still be around. Her being different with other people just shows she feels she has to work harder with them. Going forward perhaps try to work out what really interests her and focusing on those activities to develop your bond, eg reading her a book, taking her to the swings on her own etc.

AlwaysTheMummy Mon 01-Sep-08 18:39:45

My daughter is 8 months old and is very much like your dd too, when I hold her it's like she's pushing me away to look around her and when I kiss her she wiggles away.

I just take this as her being very inquisitive, she prefers to be able to see whats going on around her, whereas when my son was her age he loved having cuddles and being kissed.

Maybe its a girl thing.

I agree with what stillstanding says, your dd knows you will be there and do things together like looking at books or building blocks and letting her knock them down.

2point4kids Mon 01-Sep-08 18:44:41

My DS1 was like that too.
He is nearly 3 now and since he has been about 2 he is much much more affectionate. We are always having cuddles now!

JuneBugJen Mon 01-Sep-08 18:44:58

my daughter was like this. ds loves being cuddled.

dd now much more affectionate, but still in short bursts.
Think some dcs are just like this, but all the same it does make you feel so sad. sad

herbietea Mon 01-Sep-08 18:47:57

Message withdrawn

RadioFan Mon 01-Sep-08 19:01:44

I can´t tell you how relieved I am to read your messages! Thank you to everyone! I was starting to think that there was something wrong with DD...

: )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now