Talk

Advanced search

What did you do (or are you doing) for babys first birthday?

(34 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Mon 01-Sep-08 14:34:42

DS will be one next month (28 Oct) and I'm starting to think about what to do. I don't want to do anything huge and fancy as we don't have the space at home and he won't know what's happening anyway, but I do want to mark it in some way. He has some baby friends who I'd like to invite but also there's his family too (as in my and Dh's families) and having them all over in one day wouldn't work I think due to the space issue. I was thinking of doing 2 separate days, one on a Sunday for family and then a 'party' on his actual birthday (Tue) with baby pals so we can have party games and goody bags and the like. But not sure if I should invite the parents and inlaws to that one as it would be cute to see?

Dilemmas! What did you all do? I need some inspiration! Thanks

ConnorTraceptive Mon 01-Sep-08 14:37:55

We just had a bbq for my parents and in-laws and two other mum friends. We did a cake and gifts but no games or party bags. DS1 is three now and only just getting the concept of party games, so it will be wasted on 1 year olds!!

diddle Mon 01-Sep-08 14:41:22

ok here goes:

For DS1's 1st birthday (now2) we had a house party, a few family and friends, all the kids played happily together, adults chatted and watched the kids. Great fun, put a bit of food on, decorated the house, think the kids enjoyed the balloons more than anything.

DS1 is 1 next month too, but we've moved house and don't have as much space, Plus DS2 doesn't have many friends his age, most of his friends are the same age as DS1. so i think i'm going to invite family and a select few friends. Ds1 won't know whats going on anyway.

I wouldn't bother with party bags, kids that age won't appreciate the and it'll waste your money. Party games is a good idea if you think they'll sit still. but to be honest just letting them interact together and play with toys is juts as good.

I'm planning on having ds's party in the morning so he can still have his afternoon nap. hope this all helps and have fun

Libra1975 Mon 01-Sep-08 14:44:33

Party games for one year olds? hmm aren't they still more interested in cardboard boxes?

mama2one Mon 01-Sep-08 14:46:34

I planning a party for my soon to be one year old DS. He will be one 31st Oct so am taking advantage of basic halloween theme! (more fun for me at this early stage in his life) I inviting close family and friends to join us throughout afternoon so that people can come and go as please saving hanging around with tired, or ratty babies and children! I will do a cake and finger foods, cucumber sandwiches (DS favortie), marmite, carrot sticks etc and definitely lots of balloons. Cant wait.

NomDePlume Mon 01-Sep-08 14:46:45

Big fat feck all.

DD had no idea that it was her birthday and was too small to play with other babies really (afaik froma developmental pov it is mainly independent play at that age and play with other children doesn't really happen until they are older).

We had a little cake and sang happy birthday to her and she obviously had a few presents. No party or anything though.

NomDePlume Mon 01-Sep-08 14:47:25

A bit confused as to what party games you could do with a 1yr old

tassisssss Mon 01-Sep-08 14:47:47

For dd we have open house with a bouncy castle for the children. Think we'll do the same for dd2 next summer (maybe with a BBQ too...). We didn't have games or party bags.

mama2one Mon 01-Sep-08 14:48:34

my ds lights up with other babies his own age to play with!

ILikeYourSleeves Mon 01-Sep-08 14:49:54

I meant party games as in maybe a few games of pass the parcel with mummies passing it grin Mind you, DS went to his cousins first birthday party in June and he just sat a bit bewildered at the games but then the other babies seemed to like it. Just gathering ideas really but it probably would be best for the babies to wander about and play with toys etc rather than games now I think about it. It's all new territory for me! I also got a catalogue this morn full of things for babys 1st birthday eg plates, banners etc that's why I thought of goody bags etc. The company are probably just trying to get our money LOL

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 01-Sep-08 14:52:39

We had a family and friends round for lunch - more for our benefit than DS's really. Think we had my parents, ILs and a two of my friends with babies. DS a bit oblivious, babies played with a box of toys that I put out and grown-ups ate and chatted. In fact DS went for a nap half way thro and didn't wake up until everyone was leaving.

You don't have to worry about games or party bags at this age - if you want to do 2 separate days because space is an issue, would recommend keeping both low key, maybe just have your mum friends round for cake?

Wisknit Mon 01-Sep-08 15:05:46

ds 1 I had a tummt bug so just family thing at my folks.
ds2 is June so we had a picnic at a local park. No clearing up etc. great. Someone I know did this in feb too - but for a 2 yr party.

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 01-Sep-08 15:06:48

we had family round for sunday lunch then friends arrived at 4pm to join us for cake

did the same for both boys 1st birthdays

JODIEhadababy Mon 01-Sep-08 15:15:29

We coincided the party (no party games though) with his christening, so we wouldn't have to have 2 parties, but on his actual birthday we took him to Twycross Zoo, he loved it, went with both sets of grandparents and a friend.

He will be 2 in two weeks and we aren't doing anything, just a trip to Thomasland with my MIL and FIL

katiechops Mon 01-Sep-08 15:21:32

We went for a pizza at a local restaurant with all DD's grandparents and aunties. TBH it was really a good excuse for getting my parents and their new partners together for the first time in about 15 years, so that they could have a trial run at being nice to each other before our wedding!

DD is 2 in a couple of weeks and not sure what we'll do for that yet.

jellybelly2007 Mon 01-Sep-08 15:28:58

DS2 is 1 next sunday, we're planning on taking him to soft play with ball pool on morning, come home, afternoon nap, then GPs come for sarnies and cake.

For DS1 1st, we went the whole hog, and had tons of friends/family/kids round.

TBH it chewed him to bits and he ended up having a good cry in the corner.
Depends on whether theyre used to loads of people really, but if theyre not, its just not fair on them IMO

grin JODIEhadababy- we went to Twycross too!

YumeeMumee Mon 01-Sep-08 15:41:31

We made a bit of a fuss over DS when he turned 1 as we didn't do anything when he was born (ie naming ceremony or christening, which other friends did). Just a houseparty with bbq and decorated everywhere. Lots of balloons on the garden floor (which the babies had lots of fun with) but other than that just DS's toys. Had a mini pass the parcel with a small gift for each baby thus didn't do party bags but had to do some strategic music stopping!! smile

Also had a nice cake - DS atually ended up with 2 cakes that friends very kindly baked grin Babies and parents came round early afternoon and other friends/family came round late afternoon/early evening.

If you have the space, then we found that having others around, kept the babies amused...especially as many wanted to hold the babies or play with them so that gave mums/dads a chance to chat or grab a bite to eat! b

branflake81 Mon 01-Sep-08 15:53:31

We did nothing. Is that bad?

Kelix Mon 01-Sep-08 16:20:16

Two small occasions sounds fine although double the expense (food etc) and double the clearing up!!

DD is not 1 until Jan but am thinking of local soft play area. Its £10 per head for kids, they get fed, games, party bags etc But no limit on grown ups who can supervise younger kids and have a brew chat in the cafe area. It sounds expensive I know but there is only likely to be 5 or 6 of them so not much more expensive than buying food/party bags/prizes for pass the parcel & whatever else.

Only thought of this as most of DDs 'friends' are a bit older and will appreciate this and apparently there is a soft play area for younger one (who cant walk yet) so my DD will more than likely love it too. Will take her before hand to be sure tho!

MrsTittleMouse Mon 01-Sep-08 16:28:25

We did the enormous party thing and hired a hall. It wasn't for DD's benefit, it was for our benefit - we didn't have a Christening for her and so it was a great way to get everyone together and celebrate her. Plus, before she was one we were far too tired! My Mum is already planning for DD2's first birthday next year (she's not even born yet grin), so I think it went well.

EachPeachPearMum Mon 01-Sep-08 16:58:10

We took DD to a childrens farm, which she adored- there were new lambs and ducklings etc.
Then we had a birthday tea with a cake at home, just for family.
We had a lovely day, and it was nice and low-key.

pamelat Mon 01-Sep-08 19:18:55

My DD is only nearly 8 months but I we went a brilliant 1st bday party before I was pregnant.

Basically my friend invited family and a handful of friends over and the adults all sat and drank a lot of cava (!) and the babies sat and played. It was one of the best parties I had been to.

For our DD, we plan to have a small house party - invite a couple of baby "friends". No games planned.

Treat it more as the anniversary of YOU having given birth, until he/she is old enough to know its about them.

My dad still buys my mum a present on my bday as a "thank you"!

threestars Mon 01-Sep-08 23:01:50

We had a few baby friends + mums over, with a picnic, balloons and a tent 'n' tunnel thing. More than enough excitement...
Then family turned up later for candle blowing out time (disastrous as ds saw the candle, reached out for it and burnt himself) and friends left and family stayed.
Keep it simple and you definitely don't need party bags, unless you're gagging to do them grin.

AlwaysTheMummy Tue 02-Sep-08 07:36:10

We took ds to Twycross zoo for his 1st birthday too, lol, he's 5 now and went back for his 5th birthday.

We love that zoo xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now