Talk

Advanced search

God, I feel like a sh*t mum today

(11 Posts)
suwoo Fri 29-Aug-08 15:10:15

DD 6.5 had to have a filling in her molar in June which was bad enough, last week we found that it had gone into an abscess. We have just returned to the fantastic city centre private dentist who gave her the anti-biotics for the abscess and he has said that the tooth is so badly decayed, it will need to be extracted shock. I was so stunned, I actually cried in the dentists room. He said the tooth should never have been filled by the other cowboys as it was too far gone, they have also joined two teeth together with the filling which apparently is a big no no.
He has suggested she goes to private clinic that can extract it under gas & air rather than a general anaesthetic.
She has never had a fizzy drink in her life and has had minimal sweets at parties etc. She does have chocolate and squash though.
I am so upset, what a shit thing to have happen to your 6 year old- I would normally be very judgy about this.....serves me right eh?

sherby Fri 29-Aug-08 15:11:23

poor DD

crap of the other dentists too

Dalrymps Fri 29-Aug-08 15:15:28

It isn't your fault, stop beating yourself up.
When I was about 8 I had 4 molars out due to abcesses. I was brought up on a healthy diet and spent all my time playing outside, not sitting around eating sweets.

I was given antibiotics too but they didn't work.

At least she won't have pain anymore and once her adult teeth come through it'll be like nothing happened.

You are a good parent, a bad parent wouldn't be upset about it x

penona Fri 29-Aug-08 15:20:26

Happened to my friend's child at the same age, brought up on a very healthy diet and well looked after. Please try not to get too upset, I can imagine how you feel but is not your fault.

Poor DD and you.

suwoo Fri 29-Aug-08 15:27:58

Thanks to you all for saying that. I asked the dentist if she had weak teeth and he said no, so it must be my fault then sad

Dalrymps Fri 29-Aug-08 15:28:54

No, it's not your fault, these things just happen. Chin up x

NinaInCognito Fri 29-Aug-08 15:50:19

Hi suwoo, I'm the same as Dalrymps, healthy diet etc and I had twelve fillings, abscesses and all sorts by the time I was 8. I eventually had 4 teeth extracted at 10 and a plastic coating put on my teeth because I didn't have enough enamel.

Please don't feel bad - absolutely nothing to do with you - teeth are rubbish anyway, imo a crap bit of evolution. And once my adult teeth came through everything was fine, I am sure hers will be too.

sagacious Fri 29-Aug-08 16:10:30

Ds (also 6.5) has a hole in his tooth, waiting on appointment for filling.

I felt like a shitmum as well.

Dentist also told me off as DD (4) wasn't cleaning her teeth properly (she'd only been cleaning the front ones)

I was mortified (and now clean dd's teeth myself)

It happens.

suwoo Fri 29-Aug-08 16:11:31

Thanks Nina. I only have 2 fillings, but DH has shit teeth. Its a warning sign anyway to be more careful from now on.

MatNanPlus Fri 29-Aug-08 16:13:58

SuWoo I would report the other dentist TBH.

suwoo Fri 29-Aug-08 17:56:36

I intend to Mat, just need to google who to do so to. Sorry you feel shit too sagacious, how much crap do your kids eat out of interest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now