Talk

Advanced search

DS1 (3.6) keeps trying to breastfeed his toy lamb. Ignore?

(26 Posts)
thequietone Fri 29-Aug-08 13:08:03

It's been 6 months since his little brother was born. Not once has he mentioned my breastfeeding, or questioned it. Now, all of a sudden, he keeps trying to "feed" his Lamby!

orangehead Fri 29-Aug-08 13:09:29

Thats cute

AvenaLife Fri 29-Aug-08 13:09:51

Ohh, that's so sweet! smile I'd ignore after you have taken a picture to show his girlfriend when she comes round to visit. grin

AvenaLife Fri 29-Aug-08 13:10:10

When he's older I mean.

BabiesEverywhere Fri 29-Aug-08 13:10:16

That is so sweet of him, why ignore it ?

cockles Fri 29-Aug-08 13:10:31

Why ignore? talk to him about it! Mine does this, I think it's lovely.

Jahan Fri 29-Aug-08 13:11:07

Aah. Ds1 used to try to 'feed' his monkey grin

thequietone Fri 29-Aug-08 13:12:34

I guess I don't mean ignore, I mean get into a heavy explanation as to why he can't do it in real life (feed, that is). Boys and girls differences etc. He does look SO cute, especially since Lamby is tiny, about 2 inches long. He does it so lovingly too...

charchargabor Fri 29-Aug-08 13:12:49

No need to ignore. My DSD often used to bf her teddies whilst I was bfing DD. She doesn't do it much any more, but has told me that she's going to give her babies mummy milk when she grows up! I think it's lovely, and is a step towards normalising bfing in a bottle-dominant society. smile

charchargabor Fri 29-Aug-08 13:14:00

Xpost. I would just go with it, he probably won't think he can bf when he's older! I would just tell him it's sweet and enjoy it.

procrastinatingparent Fri 29-Aug-08 13:14:11

DS2 at 3 used to BF his tractor.

grin Ds 4 has been know to bf a very realistic model of a t-rex.

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 13:16:33

My toddler, 20 months, spent our recent weekend away pointing at my tummy and saying 'mamas baby' then puffing his tummy out, pointing to it and saying 'baby'.

He did it whenever anyone new gave him attention. i just thought it was cute.

Snippety Sat 30-Aug-08 00:04:59

My boy (14 months) makes me "feed" Percy the engine on whichever boob he's not latched onto smile

IdrisTheDragon Sat 30-Aug-08 00:07:33

Both DS and DD breastfeed their animals sometimes (DS is 4.9, DD is 2.11). They both know that boys can't really breastfeed - I don't think you need a detailed explanation.

PortAndLemon Sat 30-Aug-08 00:09:44

Definitely don't get into a heavy explanation as to why he can't do it in real life. How cute... <wishes DS would try this, preferably when I have a camera ready>

Smithagain Sat 30-Aug-08 18:40:22

Beyond casually mentioning that only ladies have boobs, I can't see why you would need any heavy explanation. DD was amazed to hear that only my boobs were capable of feeding her little sister, but she took it in her stride and carried on role playing breast feeding whenever there is a baby involved in her game.

It's good that he sees BF as the normal way to feed his "baby" - let's hope it lasts till he's a daddy!

WigWamBam Sat 30-Aug-08 18:44:12

Would you bat an eyelid if he were feeding his Lamby with a bottle?

Nothing to worry about, I would say. He is just copying what he has seen, and what he knows is the way to feed babies.

Can't see any reason to engage in a huge discussion with him about it either ...

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-Aug-08 18:45:05

oh please just enjoy it
it's sweet and lovely and just a game

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 30-Aug-08 18:51:52

It's lovely, DS (2.1) has been doing this a lot recently, there's a lot of tiny babes round our way atm.

Tinkjon Sat 30-Aug-08 22:45:13

Why choose that one thing to pick up on though? Surely kids of this age do all sorts of make-believe things that they can't do in real life?! eg. DD (5.5) keeps talking about how she's going to marry me when she's older ("because, like you told me Mummy - ladies can marry other ladies, can't they?") I am quite confident that by the time she gets to the marrying age she'll have realised that daughters don't marry their mothers, just as by the time your son grows up and has children he'll realise that he can't breastfeed them! Also, if I were you I'd be positively proud that he is choosing to breastfeed his toys and not choosing to formula feed them

ReallyTired Sun 31-Aug-08 13:25:39

I think its harmless having a small boy pretending to breastfeed a lamb. Just think how supportive he will be to his wife if she chooses to breastfeed.

At least he is giving his toy lamb the best start in life. Would you have posted if he was pretending to bottlefeed his toy?

PinkTulips Sun 31-Aug-08 14:06:21

that's lovely smile

neither of mine bother to bf their toys... they just shove them up to my boobs for me to do it hmm

i doubt you'd be bothered if he was pretending to bottle feed the lamb so why does it bother you him trying to bf it?

AnnVan Sun 31-Aug-08 15:13:18

Oh that's so sweet. why bother having any discussions about it? he's copying what he's seen, and what is normal to him. Just let him get on with it. Agree you should take some pics though to embarass him when he's older! grin

AnnVan Sun 31-Aug-08 15:13:18

Oh that's so sweet. why bother having any discussions about it? he's copying what he's seen, and what is normal to him. Just let him get on with it. Agree you should take some pics though to embarass him when he's older! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now