Talk

Advanced search

Any tips on moving 21 month DS from cot to toddler bed?

(7 Posts)
ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 10:37:42

My son is a very very restless sleeper. He sleeps for 11-12 hours but really thrashes about and always has done.

We used to put him in sleeping bags but found that he started standing up and falling over in the them so seemed to have a egg size lump on his head for ages.

Tried making his cot up with sheets and blankets but they end up like a sting down the middle of the bed an hour after bedtime and he ends up sleeping across the cot with his legs through the bars.

We need to move him to a big bed as he is starting to climb out. We've ordered the bed with bed guards but would appreciate any advice on keeping in the bed at bedtime and when he is asleep.

I've seen the grobag duvets that popper to the sheets but he won't use a duvet. He just screams... he likes his blankie

notnowbernard Fri 29-Aug-08 10:40:23

I would use a normal duvet (let him have his blanket if he wants it as well)

The toddler beds aren't far from the ground if he does fall out, but the bed guard should be enough to stop him rolling out anyway

Get a stairgate for the door. He might find it a HUGE novelty getting in and out (100x before he actually falls asleep)

In this instance I find ignoring is the best intervention wink

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 12:38:59

Thanks... he really seems to dislike the duvet at the mo so might start with sheets and blankets and pick my battles...

Lacking enthusiam at the mo as 32 weeks pregnant.

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 13:31:23

?

Iklboo Fri 29-Aug-08 13:37:57

We had to put DS in a proper bed last year when we weny on hols and he was too big for the cot.
He absolutely loved his 'big boy' bed and we got him his own as soon as we came home.
Agree with the stairgate on the door. You can get really lightweight toddler duvets he might like - with a colourful cover on.
You could try putting him on top of duvet at first with a blanket over the top then popping him under it when he's sound asleep - he might get used to the feel of it over him better

thequietone Fri 29-Aug-08 13:38:59

Oh perfect timing! My DS1 moved into a toddler bed when I was pregnant too. He could see the reasoning behind it, as I said the baby needs the cot soon. So we moved it from his room but still had it in the house. He liked the fact that he was big enough to get a proper bed. Took him to Ikea and he chose the duvet cover and bed. I put a stairgate on his door, and after 2 nights of confusion, worked a treat. Still had occasional late evenings of getting him back into bed, but it goes soon.

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 14:12:53

We've set up a new room from him with all his favourite toys in it as the baby room is too small. He's been using it as a playroom for the past fortnight until his bed arrives and he loves it. Makes a beeline for it as soon as he's out of his cot. He's only 20 months.

DH has convinced him that the light is magic though as he can't see the switch and stands in the middle of the room saying light on while DH operates the switch so I guess we'll get tears of frustration at some point soon.

I'll take anothe look at duvets in a month or so having just spent loads on a bed and bed linen - I'm skint!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now