Talk

Advanced search

Imaginary friends

(8 Posts)
coffeeholic Wed 27-Aug-08 10:38:31

My Dd is 4 1/2 and starting school next week. She had imaginary friends for a while, but they disappeared about 6-8 months ago. Now they are back. Is it because she is worried about starting school? Should I just get on with setting extra places at table and letting her talk to herself all the time, like I did before, or should I address the potential concern?

branflake81 Wed 27-Aug-08 12:27:56

As someone who used to have imaginary friends as a child I would just say carry on as you did before and let her talk to them. They may well be a manifestation of her anxieties re school, but if it helps that can only be a good thing, right?

Of course you can assure her there is nothing to be frightened of but as an aside I would also avoid making a huge deal out of it because that could make it worse.

mankymummy Wed 27-Aug-08 12:30:18

My DS has an imaginary dog. sometimes he's around and sometimes he's not so it may just be a coincidence that she's starting school.

Be thankful you dont have to buy dog food when you only have a cat !!! wink

pagwatch Wed 27-Aug-08 12:33:19

my DD only aquired an imaginary friend recently. She is nearly six. He is called Julian.
She is not the slightest bit anxious about anything. I think Julian arrived because she like Soren lorenson and because when she has had pudding she asks for an extra portion 'for Julian'.
if she does not seem worried in any other way then this may just be summer holiday fun.

MiaWallace Wed 27-Aug-08 12:36:19

Just leave her carry on. If it helps her what is the harm?

My dd is 3 and has plenty of real life friends but still has 5 imaginary friends.

Jell is the naughty one. He is very tall with big feet. He lives in a pot by a tree in the park, and he has the ability to fly. Dd always blames Jell if she has been caught doing something she shouldn't (very much like Fred in the film 'drop dead Fred')

Gavin is the crazy one who has curly hair and a neck that changes colour.

Charlie Marlie is a hamster who is also friends with Jell.

Smiley is typically well behaved and comes to play when Jell has been banned.

Caddy is a new arrival who has googly eyes.

I love listening to her talking to her imaginary friends and I often ask her questions about them. I never had imaginary friends when I was a child, I'm happy that dd always feels like she has someone to play with.

Buda Wed 27-Aug-08 12:37:14

DS had 5 when he started nursery! Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, Daphne and Wilma!!!!!

He grew out of it.

I had imagainary friends as a child and I am quite normal thank you.

Oh - hang on - maybe not - I 'talk' to people on the computer!

ninja Wed 27-Aug-08 12:45:31

DD still ahs thw same ones from when she was 2 or 3 (5 now) - she tells the TA's about them at school (and they think it's sweet). They do come out more at some times than others, but I don't think it's stress related.

I think it's lovely to have a few more around!

coffeeholic Wed 27-Aug-08 14:51:05

Thanks! Yes, I do enjoy listening to her talking to them. They are quite funny, and often result in a lot of unnecessary faffing whilst we get Dodo and Didi ready to go out! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now