Talk

Advanced search

Do you restrict toy numbers?

(11 Posts)
AccidentalMum Tue 26-Aug-08 22:15:37

I've read on here about having only 10 toys, or only wooden ones, or non play defining ones etc. How does this work in practice? Which toys do your DCs have? Do you replace them a lot or is that cheating?! Do the garage and cars count as one for example? What about gifts?

bubblagirl Wed 27-Aug-08 19:25:44

my ds never had restricted toys i would put a few out and keep a few away and rotate every week or every few days stops them getting so bored when they reach certain age they no longer need so many but my house looked like a toy shop he wasnt spoilt at all but he had fun

now he is 3.3 the toys are less and we still rotate so he has feel of new toys all the time and doesnt get too bored with ones that are out

bubblagirl Wed 27-Aug-08 19:28:32

he has toy kitchen out, laptop, puzzles, doctors kit, tools, bob toys, thomas train sets , flash cards, paints clouring stuff, cars, its all at his reach in toy boxes its only certain ones i keep away such as craft sets so they dont get broken now his older i let him go through and choose toys to play with i dont rotate as much now as he hasnt as many , toy garage his little bike, pinball machine,and lot more lol

fruitful Wed 27-Aug-08 19:29:51

ROFL! We restrict numbers to the amount that will physically fit in the playroom, 3 bedrooms, the garden, the garage, and a few scattered elsewhere.

If you only have 10 toys, what do you tell all the relatives who buy them presents? Sorry, take it back?

Wooden toys are great when they're little - as my kids have got older I've started buying them what they want and not what I want - guess what, its not the wooden ones.

fruitstick Wed 27-Aug-08 19:38:33

I was determined that my DS1 would only have beautifully crafted wooden toys. Although he has a few he managed to trash his wooden activity cube within weeks and my husband glued it together about 6 times before we finally gave up and threw it away. However he does play with my niece's 20 year old duplo!

I try really hard to keep them all organised (often fail) which makes it less frustrating. Jigsaws together, duplo all in one box, happy land all together.

WTF is a non-play defining toy?

fruitful Wed 27-Aug-08 19:40:57

I think its something that doesn't "tell" them what to do. Like a toy kettle "defines" the play - not much you can pretend to do with it apart from make a hot drink.

However, children will do what they like anyway. At my son's nursery the staff hid all the toy carrots cos the kids were using them as swords. grin

muggglewump Wed 27-Aug-08 19:50:01

No, but we have far too many that don't get palyed with.
I do insist they are looked after though.
I do a room clearout twice a year and chuck anything broken but that's always shit that came from Maccas or a Kinder egg.
I'm actually thinking of giving the Baby Annabel and Baby Born away on here this Christmas, DD hardly ever plays with them and they are becoming clutter.
She has a double size room and it's filled with toys!

AccidentalMum Wed 27-Aug-08 21:01:58

Thanks for the replies....all very familiar!

I was thinking of parents who suscribe to Steiner or similar principles, I've definitely heard having only 10 toys mentioned....anyone?

bubblagirl Thu 28-Aug-08 10:00:27

i think maybe in best intentions people start that way and realised it soon gets really out of hand lol

i di start really minimal but xmas and birthdays come along and it soon got out of hand so rotated could they be rortating toys 10 at a time so not over cluttered and not getting bored with toys they have

if my ds played with the same 10 toys i think my day would be sheer nighmare from his boredom

i think it sounds good idea but in my house would not be good

dandycandyjellybean Thu 28-Aug-08 14:29:40

Do limit ds 2.9 to a degree.

Outside: sandpit, ball, digger, and a couple of motor bikes that dh has built for him hmm

In sitting room ds has small case of cars (old style school type case) a large basket of other vehicles, a road mat, small quantity of play doh and cutters etc, some fuzzy felts, a picnic set and a train set (tho the track is behind the sofa so he has to ask for this).

In the front room he has a bucket of duplo, a wooden motorbike rocking horse (complete with his dad's old m/c helment and gloves - check out pics on profile!), books and colouring pencils/pens and sticker books.

In his bedroom, his fave soft toys, lots of books, a small train track, in the wardrobe a box of farm stuff, a box of musical instruments, a till, some farm animal dominoes and a jigsaw game.

We have recently had a clear out and I sent some of his old/less played with stuff to the charity shop. He was a bit upset at first, but after lots of discussion over the course of the day he gets it, and will sometimes say 'is that other boy wot hasn't got any toys playing with my fire engine now mummy?'

I am now operating a 'one in one out' policy as well; he can decide how much he really wants something new by chosing to give something old to the charity shop (little boy who hasn't got any toys). Can't decide from reading this if it sounds like he has loads of stuff or if I sound quite harsh. As an only, I want him to learn all the different aspects of sharing (not just letting others play with his stuff,) but being able to let go of things, and bless others with things he no longer has need of. That said I would never make him share his one special teddy or part with anything that he wasn't ready to part with.

Oblomov Thu 28-Aug-08 14:46:05

I don't agree with limiting it to 10. That is too few. But we have regular clear outs of the toy box - bits missing, toys that he is too old for.
They are "baby toys mummy, I don't need them anymore".
All just sensible. Else you end up with another 15 at birthday or christmas.
I do have friends who 'appear' to never have a clear out wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now