Talk

Advanced search

3 year old ds only put on 2lbs in a year

(18 Posts)
chipmunkswhereareyou Tue 26-Aug-08 18:27:03

Is this a cause for concern or does it not matter? I think he has grown in height in line with what's expected according to those red book charts but not put on the 'expected' weight so this isn't just about the fact 2/ 3 year olds' weight gain slows down as I am comparing to the 'norm'.

He has a very healthy diet and likes to eat fruit and veg blush a lot and I wonder if I need to load him up on more fatty proteiny stuff to help him put on weight?

But if I do that am I setting him up for an unhealthy diet later on?

He is no more active than average I'd say, has his fair share of goodies e.g. biscuits (although I choose the ones which aren't sweetened with sugar but with fruit juice - the Organix ones) but doesn't really drink much milk anymore.

Has anyone discussed this sort of thing with their HV if their dc hadn't put much weight on?

jennieflower Tue 26-Aug-08 20:17:58

I wouldn't be overly concerned, My dd has also gained weight very slowly and she's really healthy. She's now 5.5 and just under 3 stone.

RubySlippers Tue 26-Aug-08 20:20:59

DS weighed only 3 lbs more at his 2 year weigh in, than at his 1 year weigh in

IIRC, weight gain evens out a lot (more active etc) and not generally a cause for concern

chipmunkswhereareyou Tue 26-Aug-08 20:38:32

Ok - sounds like I am worrying about something I shouldn't be.
He looks really healthy and not ridiculously thin or anything. I'll just keep an eye on it and if he does continue to get thinner but to a point where it doesn't look healthy I'll worry about it then.

bodiddly Tue 26-Aug-08 20:40:10

how much does he weigh?

chipmunkswhereareyou Tue 26-Aug-08 20:46:42

2 stone exactly.
It's more the lack of weight gain than the absolute amount that I was concerned about - he's not that tall (not in itself a worry as we ,his parents, are short-arses).

bodiddly Tue 26-Aug-08 20:50:17

my ds is 3.5 and is fairly high in terms of the centiles or weight and height but that said he has put on very little weight for the last 6 months and his feet haven't grown in 6-12 months. I think things just slow down sometimes and then speed up again!

LittlePushka Tue 26-Aug-08 20:51:25

My DS is almost 2 and weighs only 6lbs more than his 5 month old brother. (Both wear same size nappies!) He eats well, looks well(not horribly fat and not painfully skinny) and is full of energy. So I agree with you...I did worry for a while when he was young, but I am relaxed about it now.

Jbck Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:03

DD1 is almost 7 and weighs 8 pounds more than at her 36 month check (2 stone as well). She has a great appetite, eats a wealth of foods, lots of healthy stuff but can eat her fair share of chocolate if given the chance.

She has loads of energy and looks the picture of health albeit a very skinny one, shiny hair, beautiful glowing complexion. she isn't very tall for her age either and you could count every rib through her clothing but I've never worried about her.

HV offered me a booklet on 'Tempting Toddlers' at her 36 month check, I asked if he had extra hours in the day to feed her cos that was the only way we were going to get more food in her.

Long may it continue, she gets more wear out of her clothes this way grin

GreenEggsAndSpam Tue 26-Aug-08 21:13:17

chipmunkswhereareyou - my ds is also 3 (and a bit) and weighs just short of 2 stone. He is about 94cm tall if that helps? He grows slowly too - certainly less than 4 lbs in the last year.

Anyway, I have no concerns about him. Sometimes he eats, sometimes he doesn't, but he is very active and strong - no fat, all lithe and muscle!

He doesn't drink milk much either, which I am sure would get more calories into him, but just by looking at hime you can tell he is fine. Trust your instincts smile

Tutter Tue 26-Aug-08 21:15:12

try not to fret - we all come in different shapes and sizes

ds1 is 3.2yo and tall (106cm i think???)

but only 2st 7lbs - has been for ages

his waist needs age 2 clothes, but leg and body length needs age 4

it's tricky shopping for him

bodiddly Tue 26-Aug-08 21:33:55

tutter I have the same problem with ds ... he is 3.5 and 105cm tall but skinny. I am struggling to find trousers for him at the moment! He is currently wearing age 4-5 tops and age 2-3 trousers which are too short.

Tutter Tue 26-Aug-08 21:38:47

the best i have found so far are next

they have afew with a wide elasticated waistband

\link{Red Rib Waist Combats\this kind of thing - red rib waist combats}

chipmunkswhereareyou Tue 26-Aug-08 21:39:34

Tutter and Bod - M&S have boys chinos with adjustable waists....they do help although if they are still very mismatched in height the extra waist material bunches up and doesn't look that comfy.

Tutter Tue 26-Aug-08 21:41:28

\link{Red Rib Waist Combats\try again}

Tutter Tue 26-Aug-08 21:43:13

dagnammit - they're on here

GreenEggsAndSpam Tue 26-Aug-08 21:43:41

Tutter and bodiddly - I have the same prob with my 5 yr old dd. I find La Redoute and Vertebaudet are really good for that. Not only do they do adjustable waists, but the fit tends to be slim, so they don't have to be gathered so much and have a huge lump at the waist!

Also, if you are abroad, try french supermarkets - again often their clothes are cut long and lean...

Having said that, mine wear a lot from asda, primark, tesco, h&m - all of which do adjustables - you just have to look carefully.

bodiddly Tue 26-Aug-08 21:47:25

thanks ... I found a pair of adjustable waist jeans in Next which seem to fit him but they are gathered up pretty much as far as they go which doesn't exactly look comfortable. I will keep looking though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now