Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler eaten berries from the garden - don't know what they are - help!

(13 Posts)
ajm200 Tue 26-Aug-08 17:36:31

Nipped to the loo and left my toddler in the garden unsupervised for a minute or so. When I got back outside he was eating something. Asked him to spit it out and he spat out about 10 small red berries, I don't know if he has swallowed any or if they are poisonous.

The shrub that they are from has very small (.5cm long) shiny dark green leaves and flowers with white flower in the late spring/early summer.

What should I do?

CountessDracula Tue 26-Aug-08 17:38:04

rosehip?

saltire Tue 26-Aug-08 17:39:29

Personally, I would take him and the berries to A&E jsut to be on the safe side

CountessDracula Tue 26-Aug-08 17:40:04

yes me too

dereelicte Tue 26-Aug-08 17:41:31

Yes, I think I trip to A&E I'm afraid. Take the berries with you, and a snippet of the bush.

catinthehat Tue 26-Aug-08 17:44:23

sounds like cotoneaster, in which case would be helpful to have an idea how many have been eaten. "LArge amounts" seem to be the key for this plant - if that is the culprit.
But its an A&E job really

KerryMum Tue 26-Aug-08 17:44:27

agree off to A&E with you and berries.

KerryMum Tue 26-Aug-08 17:47:08

though take some comfort in what ds2 did.

I had an ivy plant when he was a toddler. It was behind the fireguard. I did not know that ivy was poisonous.

I noticed some of the leaves were chewed (eaten) I moved it and finally got rid of it altogether.

A couple of days later his poos were this very strange WHITE color. Very odd. gp didn't know what to make of it (I didn't mention ivy as I didn't know it was poisonous). He was ill.

Then fine.

It was only months later that I found out that ivy was poisonous and called gp in a panic wondering if there was lasting damage and he was very grim and said he really should have been admitted for that. sad

but all is fine (knock on wood)

ajm200 Tue 26-Aug-08 18:20:41

OH has the car and will be home in 30 mins or so.

I called NHS direct for advice in the meantime, talked to a really helpful nurse who was able to identify the plant and got me to compare it with a photo on the internet.

Good news, it isn't poisonous thank god! I have to keep my son up for the next 4-6 hours to watch for allergic reactions and fill him up with milk but other than that we've had a lucky escape.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

ajm200 Tue 26-Aug-08 18:22:43

The national poisons db advises that ingestion may cause upset tummies so I can expect some nasty nappies over the next few days but it won't kill him or cause lasting damage

tortoiseshell Tue 26-Aug-08 18:24:07

Did they tell you what it was? Sounds like hawthorn to me.

Apparently, no children have died in the last 20 years from eating poisonous berries, which is encouraging.

ajm200 Tue 26-Aug-08 18:25:33

It is cottoneaster.

ajm200 Tue 26-Aug-08 18:30:06

He didn't have time to eat a large number and spat about 10 out. He would have to eat a very large amount before it is considered toxic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now