Talk

Advanced search

How do you stop your toddler climbing on the dining table??????

(24 Posts)
FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:24:12

or don't you??

Never a problem I ever had with DS1 or 2, but DS3 has decided that climbing on the table and crawling/walking/sitting on it is really good fun. Even pushing the chairs right in doesn't stop him - and I can't stop him getting to the table as it's a through lounge diner.

How do I stop him? I take him down, he throws a tantrum, and climbs straight back up again.

Or don't I stop him, do I just let him do it and hope he gets bored of it, or learns the hard way (by falling off) that it's not a good idea??

hana Sun 24-Aug-08 15:25:29

is he climbing onto the table by getting on chair and then onto table?

I had same problem with dd2 and dd3 and for a while I had to put the chairs sideways on the floor. Not very asthetically pleasing, but did the trick. Or I'd have to stack them in a corner.

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:29:19

yes - chair then table. I@m not sure I've got space to lie them all sideways on the floor (there's 6 chairs and huge table in very small space) but it's worth a try and they don't stack,.

He just tried to climb (backwards) off the table like he does off the sofa - of course was about 1ft further down than his feet would reach so fell over as he landed........cried - then headed straight back to the chairs again ARGHHHH

I'm just hoping that when I get my new table in just over a week the chairs are heavier and harder for him to move.......

chapstickchick Sun 24-Aug-08 15:30:46

faq - shout at him tell him NO!!! its dangerous and tables arent for climbing on.

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:32:02

I've tried that - he just looks at me and laughs blush

At least he now seems to have got bored of climbing onto the back of the chair and getting the phone.........

TrinityRhino Sun 24-Aug-08 15:32:09

remove, ignor tantrum, remoce, ignore tanturm ad nauseum

<sigh>

<wipes sweaty brow from doing this about nine million time with gecko>

TrinityRhino Sun 24-Aug-08 15:32:24

she has stopped now though

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 15:33:11

lol TR grin

Poppychick Sun 24-Aug-08 16:34:28

Mine's the same!

Getting him off, tell him off he laughs, runs away from me, curls up in a ball on the floor, paddies, screams!

I try to persevere.

pucca Sun 24-Aug-08 17:07:14

We had the chairs up on the table for months! it was the only thing that worked, but you still had to watch that ds didn't pull the chair off the table.

The chairs have recently gone back on the floor and so far so good.

Anna8888 Sun 24-Aug-08 17:11:51

I removed the chairs for about a year.

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 17:14:32

what did you sit on to eat dinner???

pucca Sun 24-Aug-08 17:42:12

You get them down for meals, but then they go back up. grin

FAQ Sun 24-Aug-08 17:44:17

lol - I knew that pucca - I was talking about Anna8888 where she said she "removed" the chairs.

I'm not sure putting them on the table would be safe.......probably more dangerous than him climbing on there....

ooops spoke too soon about the phone earlier - he's just grabbed it again

pucca Sun 24-Aug-08 19:44:22

Ah right pmsl grin

onwardandupward Sun 24-Aug-08 20:09:58

Tables are great for climbing on! Just scatter some cushions underneath so he doesn't hurt himself dropping down, if you're worried about it.

I love the resourcefulness of children - everything is a potential adventure playground! (I like sitting on tables myself, a lot, so I wouldn't want to curb enthusiasm in any of my offspring )

Anna8888 Sun 24-Aug-08 20:11:50

We ate in the kitchen grin

TheHedgeWitch Sun 24-Aug-08 22:37:16

Message withdrawn

PinkTulips Sun 24-Aug-08 22:44:17

screaming in a hysterical voice 'O MY GOD GET DOWN GET DOWN GET DOWN IT'S GOING TO FALL GET DOWN' while running full tilt at him blush

our dining table is a solid plate of glass resting on a central base.... hideous but on loan from my parents til we can afford a decent one. problem is it could fall at any moment... especially if tubby 2 year olds try clibing on it.

with the wood table in our last house i tended to let dd go at it tbh, wasn't a battle i was willing to fight, oddly enough she never did fall despite being quite accident prone.

Daddyofthreeweemonkeys Wed 08-Mar-17 00:29:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

minipie Wed 08-Mar-17 00:33:47

I knew someone would come along and say "just tell him NO firmly" grin

Relieved to hear there are other DC who don't respond to No!

DD2 has started doing this so watching with interest.

llangennith Wed 08-Mar-17 00:36:25

Omg I'd forgotten the days when we had our dining chairs stacked on the table between mealtimesgrin

Somerville Wed 08-Mar-17 00:36:45

Daddy You were just browsing nine year old threads and found a 'problem' you conveniently had a link to a product that can solve it. hmm
OP's child is now nearly 10, I doubt it's an issue anymore.

minipie Wed 08-Mar-17 00:43:32

Oh. Bollocks a zombie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now