Talk

Advanced search

Help! My 5 month old is teething and won't eat or drink anything i'm worried sick

(9 Posts)
mistyamica Sat 23-Aug-08 18:01:47

My ds is 5 months and is starting to teethe. The problem is that I can't get him to drink his bottle! I have tried mixing a rusk with his milk as he usually loves that but he won't have that either. He really needs to drink some water and I can't even get him to drink. He's not even taking the breast which is highly unusual! A little while ago he did a poo but it was really thick and dark. He really struggled to get it out and it was upsetting him. He hasn't pooed for a couple of days! I can only get him to eat a couple of spoons of the rusk and milk and then he screams. I've tried calpol and bonjela. I'm really worried about him now cause he hasn't had a full bottle for almost a week now.

does anyone have any ideas of how I can get him to drink or eat? I feel so sorry for him he's so unhappy!

TattooedGrrrl Sat 23-Aug-08 19:21:48

Hi misty! Sorry you're having a hard time.

I know it's scary when they won't eat or drink as usual, but if they are in pain or discomfort, it's not surprising. My oldest son loved Ashton and Parsons teething powders when he was teething- you can get them in Boots and other chemists.

Maybe you could try rubbing some teething gel on his gums, then offering a spoon or 2 of something.

I know it's hard to believe when you are worried, but babies really won't starve themselves. As long as he is still weeing and isn't unresponsive, all you can really do is wait a few days until it passes.

verybigbird Sat 23-Aug-08 19:23:22

Cld you try crushed frozen milk or EBM and puréed fruit, like pear or peach?
Might tempt him and the cold temp would soothe his gums.

jaspersslave Sun 24-Aug-08 19:06:52

you could put a little fresh orange juice in his water might tempt him to drink it and will help with the poo too

dinkystinky Sun 24-Aug-08 20:34:43

Teething powders are great - camomilla is good for teething. Calgel is good (can reapply lots) and Medised is good from 6 months for instant relief at night times (makes them sleepy so dont use during day time). Otherwise you're doing everything right - keep offering bottle/breast and maybe sips from a cup of cold sterile water (he may like it as nothing touching his gums) or spoons of water. In desperate times, a syringe of water (where you insert syringe in their mouth and point to side of mouth) is a way of getting water into them...

Good luck. Teething is such a shock to their little systems it is awful when it starts and they refuse to feed - but it does pass.

callmeovercautious Sun 24-Aug-08 20:42:55

I found giving the calpol 20mins before a feed helped as it was working by then and the relief in DD was obvious.

Also try to offer the breast first if that is usually his favourite and not worry too much about the food atm. They can take BM on upset tummies much better than food/formula so if he has been off food that might be the most gentle start for a day or so.

If he is not drinking tomorrow I would give the GP a call just to be safe.

gagarin Sun 24-Aug-08 20:50:55

How do you this is all caused by teething? Sounds a little extreme IMO - really unusual to reject breast, bottle AND food.

Ring NHS Direct? Get advice from someone more medical.

mistyamica Mon 25-Aug-08 10:28:30

thanks for all the useful info peeps! He is feeling a lot better now but teeth still not showing. I can sometimes get him to have rusk mixed with his milk and on the night times he is having breast. He still won't have the bottle tho. I ended up giving him water with a shot glass! (Although most of it went down his bib!) My dp has to keep ds's mind off eating when I feed him by waving one of his toys infront of him! I have also bought some rubber spoons so that he can bite them without hurting his gums.

The white stuff in his mouth was just milk. So no worries there. I guess i'll just have to kee feeding little and often.

Does anyone know how long it takes for teeth to come through?

Thanks x

TattooedGrrrl Mon 25-Aug-08 21:32:10

it can take any number of days / weeks for them to come right through. DS2 is teething at the moment- 6 have broken through the surface at once!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now