Talk

Advanced search

Would it be fair to get my ds up at 6.00am so I can go to work

(7 Posts)
ghostfreak Sat 23-Aug-08 10:56:50

I currently work 2 nightshifts in a nursing home and the pay is rubbish and me and my dp just don,t have enough money lately.
I only work the 2 nights because in all honesty I find them so tiring.
I would dearly love a day job but it has always seemed so complicated due to getting my ds to and from school and then of course I have to bear in mind what I would lose out of my income to a childminder.
My parents are elderly but have said that they will try and help out if I was to do a day job however it would entail them doing a 2 mile trek to get him from school as they don,t drive.
Getting him out of school would probably not be a problem if I was on a dayshift as I could probably finish at 3.00pm.
The trouble with care is the ealrly start and I just don,t know if it would be fair to get my ds up so early especially if he has a long day at school infront of him.
My ds also has a early start at work also.
I would probably also be expected to work evenings whcih could possibly make things complicated as well.
I also have this guilt thing going on in my head about running off out to work and leaving my ds too much he is an only, and is now 7 so not a really young one.
The job would entail me working some weekends also.
Please can anyone help me make up my mind on this I so desperately need to get off the nights I am doing and also get a better income.
I know that there is jobs out there within school hours but again I have the problem of somebody to have him in school holidays and I don,t want to be losing too much in childcare fees, and again there is this guilt thing going on about palming him off and going off to work all during his holiday.
Please help me get a perspective on this its driving me mad.

sarah293 Sat 23-Aug-08 11:00:09

Message withdrawn

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 23-Aug-08 11:00:42

how about you consider childminding? that way you are working days, spending time with your ds and no childminder fees.

if thats not your cup of tea then i dont see whats wrong with getting him up at 6 so long as he will be going to bed at a reasonable time. my dd1 willbe getting up at about 6:30 to get her ready for school and there on time.

i wouldnt feel guilty about it. if you are tired being on nights all the time the quality of the time he spends with you would increase if you went onto days.

CarGirl Sat 23-Aug-08 11:01:33

Hmmmm would you be able to pay for a taxi to get your parents to your house?

If money is tight you don't have an option tbh He is 7 he will enjoy spending time with others in the holidays.

ghostfreak Sat 23-Aug-08 11:21:26

My dp can,t alter his hours in any way unfortunately I don,t really want childminding.
I have just gone onto the bank at a home nearby and they are supposed to be keep me in mind for any night posts that come up as even though I don,t really want nights the rate of pay is much better than where I am now.
They advised me to sign on with them on the bank, because if I am already on their books then I stand a good chance of having first preference if a night job comes up.
However they have said that while I am on the bank they may be able to use me within school hours for residents outings etc.
The trouble is I still have to keep my other night job going until they can give me something permanent, so not sure how it will all work out.
They do have vacancies on days but at the moment they think I only want nights.

EffiePerine Sat 23-Aug-08 11:58:47

What time does he usually get up? DS is awake on the dot of 6 or earlier most days anyway.

3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 12:11:23

could you maybe do some work for a Homecare agency....that way you can pick and chose your shifts a bit...and whilst pay is often not that great, neither...it would give you extra hours and you could do it in a way that you only work in school hours...so, no need for childcare....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now