Talk

Advanced search

At what age do you leave your toddler upstairs unsupervised?

(25 Posts)
LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 18:03:03

So DS is 2.4, and has a tiny bedroom so most of his toys are downstairs in the lounge. But recently we put a CD player in his room so he could listen to stories, and he's completely delighted with it.

After nap time he quite often wants to stay up there and listen to stories. I want to be downstairs to get on with tea etc. I know he's fine up there - we're not mad babyproofers but the window is too heavy to open and the only two sockets have plugs in them which I think he'd find it difficult to take out. And he can manage stairs fine.

also, he's not a madly dangerous child, never taken risks, but I'm aware that there's always the chance he'll start today!

So how long do you leave your toddler unsupervised? Am I worrying unnnecessarily about leaving him up there? How often would you check on your 2yo?

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 18:03:51

also, can he hurt himself on a CD player (micro stereo thing, not a child's one though)?

happyhoney Fri 22-Aug-08 18:06:42

I would wait until he is around 3 before doing this but prehaps it varies with different kids? smile

giraffescantdancethetango Fri 22-Aug-08 18:08:22

do you have a baby monitor so you could listen in?

Shoegazer Fri 22-Aug-08 18:08:47

My DD is 2.2 and she often goes upstairs to play on her own or with her friends in her room and has done for the last 3 months or so. I couldn't say it is babyproof up there, only that she can't get to the bathroom cleaners and bleach and she can't open the windows. I don't generally check on her as she tends up peek down from the top of the stairs herself every now and then. Or I call up and ask if she is ok or she will call if she needs me.

mrspnut Fri 22-Aug-08 18:08:53

I'd be listening for it to go quiet but I'd let my 2.1 year old play in her room (and do).

I tend to go looking for her if I don't see or hear her for about 20 minutes but usually I can hear her chatting to herself or moving about.

He may get a finger stuck in the drawer thingy of the cd player but it's unlikely to damage him forever and he'd only do it once.

I'm a very hands off type of parent but neither of mine have ever come to harm (one visit to A&E in over 11 years) and they are very self sufficient.

Shoegazer Fri 22-Aug-08 18:11:01

Just to add that my house particularly lends itself to this as its not huge and the stairs are open plan to the living room so I can hear here really well. If you can't hear him then perhaps a baby monitor is in order. I think it does vary with different kids too.

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 18:28:06

A monitor is a good idea - I can hear him from everywhere except the kitchen, so it would just add that extra reassurance.

The CD player is a top loader,iyswim, so no chance of stuck fingers, and he's been putting CDs on the lounge stereo for about six months with never a mishap, so I think possibly I'm worrying about nothing.

I'll set up the monitor, and be grateful that he doesn't need Mummy around 24/7 any more!

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 18:28:31

Thank you everyone! grin

blueshoes Fri 22-Aug-08 19:22:49

A toddler will play upstairs by himself?? Never happened with my dd or ds. envy

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 20:21:46

Well, he does come and bellow 'Muuuuuuuuummmmy! come and play!' at the top of the stairs every so often, but he is pretty good. We're quite lucky.

Othersideofthechannel Fri 22-Aug-08 20:26:47

More likely to break the CD player than get hurt by it IMO.

gingerninja Fri 22-Aug-08 20:32:16

I'm so envy that your DC will play on their own, let alone in their bed room. I'll be very excited when this happens. Baby monitor sounds a good idea with regular sneaky peaks.

I have started 'letting' DD (2.5) play on her own upstairs but I leave the monitor on so i can hear what she is up to. She has always been pretty trustworthy not reckless in fact sometimes we worry she is too over-cautious!

I started by sending her up to fetch shoes or toys etc and now she'll play happily for a while on her own but TBH she usually wants me to go and play with her!

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 20:35:59

it's a very cheap player so we're trying to be relaxed about it. it's worth it for the easy bedtimes!

UniS Fri 22-Aug-08 20:36:43

I leave my boy 2.5 alone in living room watching a video or playing trains, I can hear him thumping around from anywhere in the house so can go and check if he gets off sofa( THUMP) . He has been known to switch TV off at end of video and go and play with lego on his own or come and find me.
he not a climber & not one for fiddling with things, we are not fully baby proof but have moved higher the few things he can't leave alone( like the biscuit tin and the felt pens).

All children vary tho and its only resoanble to do what your child can cope with.

UniS Fri 22-Aug-08 20:38:11

forgot to say - in this house living room IS upstairs. His bedroom is just accross from kitchen.

Othersideofthechannel Fri 22-Aug-08 20:40:23

It's great that he will stay upstairs alone. I would have felt safe with DS doing this becayse he wasn't a climber but he liked to be where I was at 2.2

mylittlemonsters Fri 22-Aug-08 20:42:22

I can't remember tbh but I am sure she was young - I think as soon as she could safetly get up and down the stairs I have let her go wherever she wants.

No problems as if a problem she will shout me. A couple of times her and friends have gone deathly quiet and I know they are up to something but they are all pretty good.

Elkat Fri 22-Aug-08 20:45:45

My youngest is 21 months, and I will leave her playing upstairs / let her go upstairs to play if she wants to. I do shut all other doors, so she can't go into them, and almost all of her toys are in her playroom downstairs, but sometimes she does like to play with her dolls house in her bedroom. I have got an open plan house though, and so I can hear her at all times.

Umlellala Fri 22-Aug-08 21:00:01

Like mylittlemonsters, we have let dd have the run of the house (actually a split-level flat) since she could get about and up and down the small stairs. Dd (2.4) now often plays upstairs by herself but I do prob check every 5-10 mins - thankfully, I can now shout 'dd, where are you?' and she answers (if she doesn't I race upstairs in a panic blush)

PS dd loves her CD player too - it's so sweet isn't it? Hadn't thought to find stories... great idea!

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 21:02:40

I can't claim the idea, twofalls came up with it and saved my sanity! See here

blueshoes Fri 22-Aug-08 21:04:01

Now I understand how people can mn with small children in the house - still envy

kevinsmother Fri 22-Aug-08 21:09:11

Hmmmmph I still can't go to the toilet without my 2.2 year old screaming the house down!

LittleMyDancingForJoy Fri 22-Aug-08 21:11:33

it is a very recent development, and he has to be in a good mood. This morning he screamed for 40 minutes because he didn't want me to brush my teeth. hmm

(I wasn't brushing them for 40 minutes obviously - but he was well into his tantrum by the time I'd done them)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now