Talk

Advanced search

Would you leave your 3 year old and your 5 year old in the living room watching a dvd and go to bed for a few hours?

(40 Posts)
AreyoutherecoditsmeMargaret Thu 21-Aug-08 16:25:16

because thats what I'm contemplating? Is it wrong?

hercules1 Thu 21-Aug-08 16:25:58

Yes. Can you cat nap on the sofa?

thornrose Thu 21-Aug-08 16:27:36

Duvet on sofa if you really need a lie down, they'll probably snuggle up with you!

MerlinsBeard Thu 21-Aug-08 16:27:56

no i wouldn't. but thats because there would be some form of massacre. However, i would have a quick power nap on the sofa while they watched one

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 21-Aug-08 16:28:49

I wouldn't go upstairs but I have crashed out on the sofa before while DS is watching TV..I remove anything that could cause mischief and shut the front room door - it works reasonably well although I nearly piss myself with fright when he decides he's had a enough of mummy being a slattern asleep and decides to jump on me!!

Neeerly3 Thu 21-Aug-08 16:29:23

i would personally sleep on sofa - my two can be left but when i sleep, i SLEEP and would not hear world war 3 break out from upstairs.

AreyoutherecoditsmeMargaret Thu 21-Aug-08 16:29:28

cant sleep on sofa they are ridiculously uncomfortable and its too bright in here. Hmmmmmm, to go or not..........

mellyonion Thu 21-Aug-08 16:31:29

pesonally, i wouldn't. just doesn't sit comfortably with me....

i would have a snooze on the sofa, or go and lie on their bed while they play in their room.....but i wouldn't leave them alone downstairs to go up for a proper kip...

CrushWithEyeliner Thu 21-Aug-08 16:31:54

I would yes

paolosgirl Thu 21-Aug-08 16:32:06

If they can sit and watch a DVD in peace, then absolutely - but probably only for the length of a film, not a few hours. If you are there on the sofa they will wake you every 5 minutes. It's not as if you are leaving them alone in the house.

charliecat Thu 21-Aug-08 16:34:10

i would, go, you will wake if they play up

bogie Thu 21-Aug-08 16:34:25

We have a tv in our room and if I am really tired I wil take ds upstairs with me and put a dvd on quietly in my room and he will sit next to me on the bed watching whilst I nap.

twoluvlykids Thu 21-Aug-08 16:36:51

no,sleep on the sofa, they'll prefer it & wake you if you're missing exciting bits of film......i did it all the time when mine were little, never upstairs though. neighbour did, & i found his 2 y o outside on his own, unlocked garage door from inside & off he went

LittleBella Thu 21-Aug-08 16:43:06

No
Too young to be left so unsupervised imo.

RGPargy Thu 21-Aug-08 16:45:42

No way!!!

tortoiseSHELL Thu 21-Aug-08 16:50:38

Yes I would! No problem! But it depends on the children - mine are pretty responsible. I wouldn't leave my 2 year old unsupervised, as he is a bit of a mountaineer in the kitchen. But dd at age 3 would have been fine, ds1 too.

moondog Thu 21-Aug-08 16:50:59

No

Blu Thu 21-Aug-08 16:53:38

no

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Thu 21-Aug-08 16:54:34

No sleep on the sofa. They are too little to be left (whatever the McCanns aplogists might say)

HumphreyCush1on Thu 21-Aug-08 16:54:46

No.
I'd snuggle up with them on the sofa.

meemar Thu 21-Aug-08 16:56:12

I've left mine and had a nap upstairs if I've been exhausted. They are 5 and almost 3.

I couldn't do it for a few hours though, partly because I wouldnt sleep for concern about what they would get up to. But more to the point they can't go for 20 minutes without calling me for something, so I'd never get that luxury!

Bronze Thu 21-Aug-08 16:59:07

Mine get up in the morning before me and go downstairs and turn the tv on on their own anyway. I would trust mine not to do anything stupid and they're very good at telling tales on each other anyway. I wouldn't leave it that long. Beginning to wish it was an option but wouldn't leave 2 yr old as well.

LynetteScavo Thu 21-Aug-08 17:00:00

No way! NOt with my 3&5 yo.

I do fall asleep on the sofa if we are all wathcing a video together sometimes- but my 9 yo is around too.
If you are really that tired, you wouldnt' be bothered about the sofa not being comfy, or it being to bright.

beansmum Thu 21-Aug-08 17:01:53

no, they are too young to be left alone.

tortoiseSHELL Thu 21-Aug-08 17:02:48

I suppose it does depend on the length of time - and how deeply you sleep. I find that if I have a nap, I really only doze, and therefore would wake up if they needed me.

Those who say 'no' - what do you do if your kids wake up in the middle of the night? Wouldn't you worry about them being unsupervised? Mine all get up, have a wander round, then go back to bed - even the 2 year old will get out of bed, turn his CD player on, then go back to bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now