Talk

Advanced search

How old was your dc before they started to feed themselves?

(12 Posts)
cupcake78 Thu 21-Aug-08 10:34:47

DS is 11 mths old and refuses to feed himself. He can do it but just will not do it. Is this normal? I'm getting comments from family that are making me think i'm doing something wrong.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 21-Aug-08 10:40:04

7 months. She refused to let me feed her any more after that, so we switched to a blw style.

hughjarssss Thu 21-Aug-08 10:40:28

DD just turned 10 months and although she will hold the spoon and use it to teethe on I'm sure it will be a while before she actullay feeds herself.

I know BLWer's generally start feeding themselves earlier than spoon fed babies.

Will be watching with intrest at what age spoon fed babies start feeding themselves roughly

Lazarou Thu 21-Aug-08 10:41:24

Can't remember, but ds2 had terrible trouble eating anything that wasn't pureed for a long long time.
YOu are not doing anything wrong.

cupcake78 Thu 21-Aug-08 10:41:58

This is not just with a spoon this also includes finger foods! Its a squish and drop - then a good look to see where its gone.

twentypence Thu 21-Aug-08 10:42:47

Ds didn't lift a cup to his mouth until around a year and food took even longer.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 21-Aug-08 11:02:43

It realy is down to the individual- I know babies that could get a spoon in their own mouth at 5mo, and others who whilst perfectly capable, refused to do it themselves until 18 mo or so.
My dd loved shoveling pasta in with her fingers...erm still does some days blush- use full size penne or fusili so little fingers can get a good grip. He'll get there in his own time.

MrsJohnCusack Thu 21-Aug-08 11:07:55

just don't worry about it
DS (now 17 months) was more or less started on finger food/BLW but has been through several stages when I am NOT ALLOWED to feed him, alternating with I MUST feed him or he just chucks it all on the floor.

you won't be doing anything wrong. They're all different, there aren't any rules. And at 11 months throwing stuff on the floor is a source or endless fun. He's learning about the fac tthat things go somewhere, they don't just disappear when he can't see them anymore

theressomethingaboutmarie Thu 21-Aug-08 12:15:54

DD started feeding herself at about 8 months but of late, she's decided that she wants me to feed her. If I try to give her the spoon, she puts the food (whatever it is) between her fingers and squishes it everywhere. She has the capability to feed herself but simply can't be bothered sometimes.

TheCrackFox Thu 21-Aug-08 12:59:37

DS1 - 18 months - but he is so lazy it is unbelievable.
DS2 - 6 months and refused to let me feed him ever since. We did BLW without realising it.

They will do it when they are ready.

magnolia74 Thu 21-Aug-08 13:04:56

Ds1 is 21 monsthd and still won't use a spoon or fork for more than 2 mouthfuls. Hands all the time and mostly thrown on floor hmm

BalloonSlayer Thu 21-Aug-08 13:13:47

My DS2 is 11 months and will eat finger food by himself but I still spoon-feed him.

He has no interest in grabbing the spoon just yet.

HV asked whether I give him a spoon and encourage him to feed himself. What, does the woman think I am mad ?!

He will learn in good time, and I am in absolutely no hurry to have my home, clothes and baby covered in any more orange gunge than absoutely necessary.

DS1 at 18mo wouldn't feed himself. When I went into hospital to have DD, my sister looked after him and he refused to let her feed him and insisted on doing it himself. She was surprised as it contradicted the advice on Page 48, Section C (Feeding: Lunch), Sub-Section ii of the list of helpful notes I had given her grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now