Talk

Advanced search

I've run out of answers to the "why?" questions. Any tips?

(10 Posts)
MissLiss Wed 20-Aug-08 19:47:32

DS1 (2 and a half) is a bright, happy boy, and utterly adorable, but is driving me insane with his constant questioning. I know it's normal (at least I hope it is) but every single thing I say results in his asking "Why, mummy, why?" It gets to the point where I run out of answers. I tried to get a bag of shopping in from the boot of my car this morning and my little helper asked me why I was doing that 7 times!! In 30 seconds!!

I used to think I would be endlessly patient with this sort of thing, but it's driving me crazy. No answer that I give him will satisfy his curiosity.

Is this normal? And if so, how the flip do I make it through without losing my marbles???

HappypillsGalore Wed 20-Aug-08 19:48:18

make it up
and dont stop talking till he is bored
he wont ask as often

IdrisTheDragon Wed 20-Aug-08 19:48:52

It is very normal. DD is 2.11 and why is a constant part of our life. I generally answer the first why, and as they keep on going will stop answering, as otherwise I go mad grin.

I am hoping the stage will stop some time - DS (4.9) was never this why-ish

peggotty Wed 20-Aug-08 19:50:09

Try turning it round and saying 'Why do you think i'm doing it'.

HappypillsGalore Wed 20-Aug-08 19:50:24

they love it when you say something really daft too.
like in answer to why youre getting the shopping out the boot, say 'coz the aliens will be hungry and theyre waiting for us to give them food in the kitchwen' or some other such gumf.
makes em laugh. and distracts them.

liath Wed 20-Aug-08 19:50:32

"Why do YOU think?"

"I don't know why"

"BECAUSE IT JUST IS! THAT'S WHY!"

blush

pamplemousse Wed 20-Aug-08 19:53:16

Why? Because why has a very long tail.
Something my friend says to her dd who why's all the time!

HappypillsGalore Wed 20-Aug-08 19:56:02

or

hmmm, im not sure, maybe we need to look that up when we get home! (obv not to the shopping q)

HappypillsGalore Wed 20-Aug-08 19:57:09

i like giving a full answer. when time/energy/inclination permits of course.

ds1 partic seems to enjoy that.

MissLiss Wed 20-Aug-08 20:01:21

Yes, the long answers always go down well but always lead to more - well, circles really. Round & round ...

Love that "why has a very long tail!" I'm going to try that - I can just see his puzzled face as that sinks in!

I do love that he's so curious and interested in everything, just hate having to explain why I'm going to the loo, getting a drink of water, phoning Grandma etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now