Talk

Advanced search

Would you have an 'entertainer'; for a 3rd birthday party?

(21 Posts)
Holymoly321 Tue 19-Aug-08 15:37:39

Do we need to have one? Had thought of just doing food and then party games - or shoudl that be party games then food then finish? How do most 3rd birthday parties run?

Morloth Tue 19-Aug-08 15:39:44

Wouldn't bother with entertainer.

Let them all arrive and run around a bit, then feed them, a couple of party games, then the cake and then start making little packing up movements so parents get the idea...

MingMingtheWonderPet Tue 19-Aug-08 15:40:17

Food and party games good. Most 3 yo won't sit for a magic show, or entertainer. Also, lots of the kids may be younger than 3, so more problematic for them.
Also some 3 yo might be scared of the entertainer.
I think entertainers work best for 4 plus age group.
Games, food, dancing, maybe a craft activity. They will be happy!

IdrisTheDragon Tue 19-Aug-08 15:40:20

I won't be for DD's 3rd birthday next month.

funnypeculiar Tue 19-Aug-08 15:41:07

Nah, not worth it. Bouncy castle, if you want to spend money smile

falcon Tue 19-Aug-08 15:43:32

I'd do the more active party games first, anything that involves a bit of running/pushing,musical chairs perhaps then food, then the slightly more sedate party games such as pass the parcel.

falcon Tue 19-Aug-08 15:44:01

And no entertainer, they're too young to appreciate it.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Tue 19-Aug-08 15:44:30

Definitely not.

Far too young.

Sandwiches, cake, jelly and crisps.

Pass the parcel.

A book/crayons to go home with.

Birthday party for a 3 year old. Done.

Holymoly321 Tue 19-Aug-08 15:49:51

that's what I thought - and I hate clowns anyway! thanks all - wish us luck!

ScottishMummy Tue 19-Aug-08 15:50:03

no not some gimp straining to be funny.run around,some toys -laugher that's enough

spontaneous fun
food
friends
music

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 19-Aug-08 16:15:37

We went to a 3rd bday party at the weekend that had an entertainer. She had the children walking about banging sticks and playing instruments and singing and doing action songs, then some parachute games. The children all joined in and she went down very well.

Before this I'd have said no, but now I can see how it can be a good idea.

christywhisty Tue 19-Aug-08 16:31:09

A lot of entertainers won't do under 4's. Last 3 year old party I went to with an entertainer all the children ended up crying because they didn't get a go at doing the magic

ReallyTired Tue 19-Aug-08 18:28:18

I think a lot depends on the size of your party and how much help you are getting from other parents.

When children are school age an entertainer is a godsend. Especially as most the parents leave the children with you. Its terrifying looking after 20 five year olds and getting the food ready.

I would have thought with three year olds a lot of the parents would stay. Managing hyperactive kids is easier with extra hands.

mankymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 19:06:51

ooh no. ive persuaded a friend to dress up as a clown and do tricks for DS's 3rd... is it going to be a disaster?! shock

mankymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 20:05:06

it is isnt it?!!!! sad

falcon Tue 19-Aug-08 20:15:56

No it should be fine so long as they keep it relatively short.

Flowertop Tue 19-Aug-08 20:25:03

I had entertainer for my DS1's 3rd birthday )now nearly 10!) and looking back feel it was such a waste of money as they were far too young to appreciate it and now feel it was much too extravagant for a boy of 3 years old. So no I would say definitely wouldn't do it for 3 year old!

mankymummy Tue 19-Aug-08 20:38:20

well i wont have to pay for it luckily as its a friend and i guess we can always boo him off if he gets boring!!!! wink

slavemum Tue 19-Aug-08 20:41:24

not for a 3yr old. but had a clown/magician for 1 ds 5th, and bouncy castle, entertainer for 2nd ds 5th.
Maybe just hire a bouncy castle and provide some food and music for 3 yr olds.

pointydog Tue 19-Aug-08 20:49:29

You could do, depends on the entertainer and how much cash you have. 3 year olds love Mr Boom, for example.

But not necessary. Just play a few games, feed them and say goodbye.

Smithagain Tue 19-Aug-08 21:39:54

DD2's 3rd birthday last week. 12 kids, ranging from 3 to 7 in age. They did colouring in (which was just meant to be a time filler, but was the most popular thing hmm), played with a pop-up tent and slide we had set up in the hall, raced around with balloons and ate loads of junk. No organised games, no pass-the-parcel, mummies all sat around and chatted. It was great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now