Talk

Advanced search

Would your parents be happy with this nickname from the kids?

(23 Posts)
MrsSnape Mon 18-Aug-08 22:41:17

If your kids called their grandmother "Gags" (short from grandma but doesn't sound that great!) how would they react?

pofaced Mon 18-Aug-08 22:46:09

Nice girl in school's granny was called "Gags"... or "Gaggy" on more formal occasions... not sure my own mother would be too keen though!

Twinklemegan Mon 18-Aug-08 22:46:36

Lol. My 2 year old seems to have christened his Granny "Gaga". Bobo and Gaga, that's what we have at the moment. Bobo might stick - I don't think my mum's too sure about Gaga!

MehgaLegs Mon 18-Aug-08 22:49:42

My mum is Lala - DS1 couldn't say nana and Lala has stuck. It suits her grin.

quickerthistimeplease Tue 19-Aug-08 08:14:52

One of my Grandma's was always called Gaga- even when we were 30 smile

Overmydeadbody Tue 19-Aug-08 08:23:24

I'm pretty certain my mother would put her foot down and not allow it.

Only my DS is allowed to call her granny too, if anyone else calls her that she ignores them grin my brother deliberately calls her granny to wind her up.

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 08:38:51

dd1 used to call ils 'bonner' and 'danna'. no idea why. it's grandma now (but she still hankers after being called 'bonner' again)
my dad was 'dat daw danna' we assumed 'that other grandad' in dd1 speak. she's 8 now, but we go like to remind her.
i quite like 'gags'. sweeeeeet.

pagwatch Tue 19-Aug-08 08:40:39

Dh's grandmother chose to be called gags and insists upon it.
I have always thought it odd tbh.

MamaG Tue 19-Aug-08 08:42:27

Mine would hate Gags or Gaga.

In saying that though, DD used to call my Dad "pops" whcih always made us giggle - he would jokingly say "hey!" when she called him Grandpops and it morphed into Pops but because the apple of his eye had made it up for him, he allowed it grin - my Dad was REALLY not a pops!

my DS called my MIL Gaga which has just become Ga. Her mom is Great-Ga.

stretchmarkqueen Tue 19-Aug-08 09:04:18

Hahaha!! My DC's call my grandparents, Grandad Baldy and Grandma Baldy!!!!! They love it and even sign cards to the DC's like that! They also used to call my dad, "Gang-gang", which he now misses 'cos they can say it properly! I think gags is quite cute.

(Only my Grandad is bald BTW!!)

georgiemum Tue 19-Aug-08 09:06:16

We used to call our aunt 'Giles'. I don't think she knew that it was because we thought she looked like the grandma out of the Giles cartoon.

katiepotatie Tue 19-Aug-08 09:06:55

I know someone who is still known as Ga by her adult grandchildren

dilbertina Tue 19-Aug-08 09:08:15

Ahh, I think it's sweet! We had a great aunt when I was little who we always called "fiery dragon" - due to some high decibel snoring. She used to sign cards to us "Mrs. F. Dragon. (Retired)"

misdee Tue 19-Aug-08 09:10:07

dh dad was nown as Grangee for a while.

MrsSnape Tue 19-Aug-08 09:15:57

I should also point out that the kids are 9 and 7 so its not as if its a speech thing blush

So you can imagine...

"alright gags! can I have a biscuit?" grin

castille Tue 19-Aug-08 09:17:44

My 2yo calls his Granny "Gammy" at the momentgrin

I think Gags is quite sweet but if she doesn't like it then just carry on calling her Grandma...

ChairmumMiaow Tue 19-Aug-08 09:18:58

My nieces call their paternal grandad "bompa". They don't always do it cos at 11 and 5 they can talk perfectly well, but it does come out sometimes and nobody gets upset

Christie Tue 19-Aug-08 09:25:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinchypants Tue 19-Aug-08 10:22:18

Both my 2yo DD's grandmothers wanted to be known as grandma, and we figured she'd be able to tell which one we were talking about because DH's mum comes with a grandad, and my mum comes with a dziadiu (Polish for grandpa). She has now decided that while my mum is just Marmar, DH's mum is 'Marmar Meanie' - her name is Rene. blush. MIL has taken it in her stride, though, and now signs cards 'Grandma Meenie'. I always feel a bit embarrassed, though, and do always tell her it's pronounced Reenie, not Meanie...

JacobsPrincess Tue 19-Aug-08 10:28:27

Both sets of Grandparents wanted to be Grandma and Grandad. But my Mum didn't want to share the Grandma title and so adopted Grammie for herself. DS1 sometimes shortens it to Gram. My Dad is known as "Ning Ning", even though DS1 is perfectly able to call other grandad grandad.

My aunt is known as Auntie Dibs because my little brother (now 26!) couldn't say Auntie Chris. It has stuck all this time and other branches of the family now call her Dibs as well (even her boyfriends have been known to use the term!)

Flamesparrow Tue 19-Aug-08 10:29:23

My grandad was always Gaga.

I let my parents & PIL choose their names, my dad chose Grumps. DS has morphed Gran for my mum into Growl but she sees it as a nice thing. I don't think it would bother my side of the family at all. PIL probably would be arsey, but I can't do anything right with them atm.

FIL wanted to be called "dad" which I find really bizarre....

I grew up with gaga and djadek, my children have grumps and dad... we're destined to never have your basic granddad!

AnAngelWithin Tue 19-Aug-08 10:33:46

FIL is gangan as named my dd2 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now