Talk

Advanced search

Maintainence

(6 Posts)
terrier141 Mon 18-Aug-08 14:33:17

Okay - not sure where to post this, but here goes.
I have been split divorced from the father of my 2 kids for 5 years and not received a penny maintainence in that time.
Now HE has contacted the CSA and asked them to calculate what he should be paying towards supporting his children. They have contacted me for details and are in process of working it out.
In the meantime he has offered me £5 per week in the form of a private arrangement.
I have declined this as I dont believe the payments would be forthcoming and I also think he should be paying more.
I am aware that he has a new family to support (3 step-kids and 1 biological) but know that CSA take this into account when doing their calculations.
He has said that if they are saying he should pay more than £5 per week then he will give up his job.
Can he just do that??
Am I being unreasonable??
If what the CSA say he should pay is too high, then i am happy to negotiate with him to something more reasonable - but feel that the offer of £5 per week was insulting - it works out at £2.50 a week per child!
What do you think?

shelleylou Mon 18-Aug-08 14:54:40

unfortunately he can give up his job to avoid paying maintenance. I'm not sure how they take step children into account. Try posting in Lone parents you may get a bit more advice

scorpio1 Mon 18-Aug-08 14:56:30

they take stepchildren the same as biological. The CSA website has a calculator if you know his earnings - £5 p/w is an insult and dont take any less than what the CSA suggest - it is your dcs money; he SHOULD pay.

If he does give up his job, he will have to pay £5 p/w anyway.

fransmom Mon 18-Aug-08 14:58:15

((((((((terrier))))))))

def post in lone parents, sorry i cna't post more xx

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Mon 18-Aug-08 15:00:00

No idea about the CSA (thankfully) but surely he cannot just give up his job with so many kids to support? I think he is calling your bluff. Also, if he gives up his job he will not be able to claim benefit for a certain amount of time (or at least this used to be the case) so he would be cutting his nose off to spite his face. Personally, if my DH offered me £5 a week in maintenance I would be hugely insulted because, quite frankly, what the hell use is a fiver a week?

terrier141 Mon 18-Aug-08 16:59:35

Thanks guys - just wanted a bit of moral support - and thats what you have given me!
Scorpio - unfortunately he will not have to give me £5 a week if he goes back on benefits because of the step-children (that is why the CSA have never made him pay before - they only take the £5 out of benefits if there are no children living with him!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now