Talk

Advanced search

Anybody ever had this? - 7mo DD hates her cot

(44 Posts)
LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:08:02

I don't know if this is down to her teething at the moment but DD seems to hate going in her cot.

The last 3/4 nights everytime I've put her down she screams her head off, however, as soon as I put her in our bed she's asleep within about 2mins.

Is there any reason she does this? Also am I doing her any harm in letting her fall asleep in our bed? (Building a rod for my back)

Sometimes I can move her into her cot but sometimes she wakes up again screaming as soon as her head hits her mattress.

Cheers all.

pgwithnumber3 Sat 16-Aug-08 22:12:29

She could be going through a bit of separation anxiety, if you are okay with her being in your bed, I would leave her there. If any of my DDs did this, I would do the same. You can worry about getting her back into her cot when she isn't teething.

elmoandella Sat 16-Aug-08 22:13:26

she's at it.

screaming so she can get in your bed.

oldest trick in the book.

put her in her bed and leave her there. or this will last for yeeeeeeeears

but if you need to do controlled crying or any other technique you will have to wait until teething is stopped. how do you know she's teething?? are you sure ? or are you just guessing thats why

pgwithnumber3 Sat 16-Aug-08 22:14:58

elmo, she's only 7 months old! Bit young to manipulate yet!

LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:18:26

I'm pretty much guessing but she's displaying all the symptoms, chewing everything, Loadsa drool, there does seem to be some lumps under her gums (but at the back hmm)

I don't mind her in there really (except she takes over the whole bed and kicks me all night) I just worried that it would mean we'd never get her back in her cot.

lilyloo Sat 16-Aug-08 22:24:24

Lucky i would do what amkes you feel comfortable.
I personally don't want dd in our bed and have her in cot but as you know that doesn't mean a good night.
If you ok with her in your bed then go for it but do remember teeth take quite a while for a full set to arrive wink

elmoandella Sat 16-Aug-08 22:28:34

pg#3, depends on the dc. my dd was crawling at 8 months. and when ds took a toy off her she would throw herself to floor in a fit and then hit him.

there's only a few weeks difference.

luckysalem. i ignored the signs with ds as i thought it was too young. but when dd started it, i made sure we stuck to our guns. she cried for 5 mins every night we put her in bed for about a month when she was about7-8 months.

now she's amazing coz we never gave in. we put her to bed and she goes straight to sleep. and if she doesn't go to sleep she plays with toys and sings songs.

but you have to decide yourself if she's started to pay attention to things happening around her. and started to interract then i would say she's not too young.

but you have to be 100% it's not illness or teething.

and if your uncomfortable with leaving her crying then take her into your own bed.no point upsetting everyone if your happy bringing her in own bed

LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:28:38

Yeh thats what i'm worried about. I don't want her in my bed once she's like 12-18 months old as IMO they should be able to cope in their own room from then but its really hard to get her to sleep any other way.

Dya think it harms if I let her fall asleep in our bed then move her?

LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:30:10

elmo - DD used to wake at 1am on the dot everynight and only take about 1oz of milk before falling asleep again so I let her cry it our for a few nights then but I feel guilty doing it now cos she may be teething.

elmoandella Sat 16-Aug-08 22:30:51

if you let her sleep then move her. she'll cry when she wakes up and realises she's not with you. then you will have to get up thru the night and bring her to your bed to settle again.

my ds i 2.5yo and still asks every night if he can come to our bed. then cries coz we say no.

pgwithnumber3 Sat 16-Aug-08 22:31:38

elmo I do agree with your regarding leaving them to cry out for a few minutes. We always do this as otherwise, life would be one long round of going in to DD2 and picking her up. It is like they find their voice at this age and shout when going to bed. DD2 still does it sometimes. I only put my DDs in bed with me when ill/teething badly but that seems to be rare.

I don't think a baby can manipulate though. They don't understand how to!

elmoandella Sat 16-Aug-08 22:32:23

we also went thru a stage where instead of letting him come to our thru the night to settle. we used to throw him a bottle of milk. but it got to the point where he was having 5 bottles a night.

lilyloo Sat 16-Aug-08 22:32:30

Lucky i wouldn't go down that route as i think they are then shocked when they wake somewhere else. Can you not stay with her whilst she falls asleep in her own cot ?
Maybe give her something of yours to remind her /smell of you when she goes in cot ?

LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:34:27

We wondered whether it was a smell thing and were gonna put something in but i've seen how she is with her teddies and i'm worried she'd overheat.
I've tried staying there but she just stares at you and screams - really gets to the heart.
We're gonna have to find something though - although once we get our new bed we should be able to fit her in so maybe i just put up with being kicked for a little while?

elmoandella Sat 16-Aug-08 22:35:13

they're not manipulating as such.

she'll be crying because she's not keen on sleeping on her own. so she cries to get her mum and settled in mums bed. it's not intentional manipulation. crying is her natural reaction when something happens that she doesn't like

lilyloo Sat 16-Aug-08 22:38:53

Do you not have light silky night shirt ?

lilyloo Sat 16-Aug-08 22:39:43

Even take a muslin and wear it in your bra for day or so ?

LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:40:23

no, nothing that adventurous wink I was thinking of getting her winnie toy and putting my perfume on it? but then worried it might be too strong and also she likes to suck on the teddie sooo... bit worrying.

I have an old t-shirt but again may be too big and she'll get too hot.

LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:41:25

No muslins - Best I have is towels but too hot. Or crotched blankets but probably too hot as well.

lilyloo Sat 16-Aug-08 22:42:53

Lucky something small will do handkerchief ? I think it's ore yor smell than perfume you will have to wear it for day or so

lilyloo Sat 16-Aug-08 22:43:44

more your blush

LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:44:11

I think i've got hankies somewhere - I know I did lol.

LuckySalem Sat 16-Aug-08 22:51:36

I'll just have to hope it doesn't fall out the bottom wink That would look abit strange.

juuule Sun 17-Aug-08 09:09:25

Sounds like she wants to be in with you.

No harm will be done by letting her fall asleep with you and then moving her. That's what we've done with all ours at some point.

LuckySalem Sun 17-Aug-08 11:39:31

Last night she spent the whole night with me and I had about 2 hours sleep so really don't want that to happen again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now