Talk

Advanced search

DS made dinner tonight

(7 Posts)
MrsSnape Sat 16-Aug-08 21:53:18

Well DS2 (7) made Fajitas tonight for the whole family grin He cut the chicken up (under supervision of course), mixed the sauce, took control of the pan (stirring and removing from heat when neccessary), added cheese whenever needed and then I put them in the over for him. The best bit was...they were bloody gorgeous! grin I think partly down to the fact that he'd used nearly an entire packet of grated cheese but still.

Anyway its really boosted his confidence, he's the one thats quite...erm...active and he's usually in trouble for something or other and I normally find myself shouting "Go and watch TV whilst I make dinner!" but today I thought "sod it, he wants to help, I'll let him" and it worked out really well. I enjoyed watching him 'work', he loved every minute of it and its made him feel good.

Are there any other 'easy' things I could teach him how to make? Do you like spending time in the kitchen with your kids?

Its strange, who would have thought the kid darting around causing chaos and stressing everyone out would be so calm and sensible in the kitchen and turn out to be a bloody good cook?

spudmasher Sat 16-Aug-08 21:56:57

Cooking for the family is so empowering! DD2 can be quite challenging and has recently mastered cake. It splits, goes all over the tiles but always ends up edible fresh with a bit of custard and the joy she gets from having the whol family say mmmmmm is wonderful.
DD1 can do omlettes, pancakes, spag bol, and a steak in the george foreman grill.

Spidermama Sat 16-Aug-08 22:06:19

Excellent work. This will pay off. Keep it up. I think it's really good for them and for their confidence to get them cooking complex meals for everyone. Surely it'll pay dividends to you too in a couple of years.

squeaver Sat 16-Aug-08 22:08:23

Well done hime\!

I'd have thought an easy pasta sauce would be ok e.g. chopped onions and tomatoes with some grated cheese or chopped onions and tuna???

Alambil Sun 17-Aug-08 00:04:21

spaghetti bolognese
shepherds pie
lasagne
pasta and sauce
chicken and veg

loads of things!

Well done him!

everlong Sun 17-Aug-08 09:09:16

Brilliant. I bet he felt fab!

My ds makes pasta bake under my supervision, he grates the cheese and chops the vegs then adds the sauce etc.. he loves it.

He also makes beans on toast and scrambled egg. He's nearly 9.

littleducks Sun 17-Aug-08 09:14:32

coleslaw
pancakes (american breakfast ones, train him now and in a bit you can enjoy brekkie in bed)
cauli cheese

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now