Talk

Advanced search

it's 34 degrees in ds's bedroom!! Question for mums down under

(21 Posts)
jammydodger Tue 15-Feb-05 13:05:28

Oh my God! It's been a scorcher today (I'm in Perth, Oz), about 42 degrees, and the thermometer in my ds's' room says 34 degrees..he's fast asleep in there butit's so hot I'm worried about him overheating and I can't work out what else to do about it. Our air con is crap, so doesn't stretch to his room even with all doors open. It is like an oven in there. The fan is on, window open, wet towel hanging on chair near fan, he's wearing just his nappy and no sheet, but does anyone have any other good ideas? Or can someone reassure me that it's ok (even though I know Gina F says it should be 18 degrees...

...anyone? thanks in advance xx

Caribbeanqueen Tue 15-Feb-05 13:24:06

It was regularly 27/28 degrees in dd's room when she was tiny and very humid. I also used to panic a lot about the 18 degrees thing, but apparently if they are used to the hot temperatures it's OK. That's what I was told anyway. You can't realistically expect to get the room to 18 degrees if you are in a hot country!

CountessDracula Tue 15-Feb-05 13:27:29

Get an empty gallon ice cream container or similar) and fill with water, freeze and then dip container into hot water, put the block of ice in front of the fan and it will cool the room. The bigger the lump of ice the better.

Or could you hire an additional portable a/c machine or buy one?

LadyPenelope Tue 15-Feb-05 13:32:15

I didn't know GF recommended it so cold ... Here in Singapore, our doctor recommended setting the aircon no cooler than 26 Deg. In a hot climate, I think it would be more likely to make children ill going from very hot to very cold ... I think what you are doing sounds fine - the idea of the ice would be a good one ... that's what folks did in hot countries before there was airconditioning!

jammydodger Tue 15-Feb-05 13:39:22

thanks for the messages guys, good idea about the ice, I'll try that tomorrow or next time it's so hot.

cheers!
(I know, 18 degrees seems really cold to me!)

stickynote Tue 15-Feb-05 13:48:59

I had my children in a very hot country and used to worry about this (with the first one) but what can you do? We didn't have aircon either and it used to amaze me that they could actually sleep in the heat, but they all did quite happily. When it was 40 degrees outside, I'd go to the baby clinic with baby dressed in a vest and a nappy and everyone would tut at me as theirs would be completely covered up in woolly items and swaddled in a fleece blanket .

suedonim Tue 15-Feb-05 19:43:06

You can hang up a damp sheet and the fan will help cool the room by evaporation, like sponging down a hot child.

newscot Tue 15-Feb-05 20:46:53

Am from down under now living in Scotland- talk about the sublime to the ridiculous weather wise! I wouldn't worry- kids seem to adjust to the climate they live in. MY DD was 2and a half when we moved here. She coped with 40 plus degrees in Oz and now is not bothered when it is zero. In fact she loves nothing better than to get her gear off!
I grew up with stinking hot summers as did generations of children before us (and without the benefits of air con)
I'll think of you tonight when I'm all nice and cosy in my bed. I really don't miss those hot summer nights

jammydodger Tue 15-Feb-05 22:20:01

I dream about those cold Scottish winters at the moment, can't imagine anything nicer right now...
Well, ds survived the night! And I only checked on him twice, so that's not too bad I guess!..you're right that babies adapt probably much better than we do, I'm just a lightweight. And a paranoid mum!

eidsvold Wed 16-Feb-05 04:36:59

jammy - I am in brisbane and we have had the heat too ( we have no aircon but a high set house that has been built in under and so very cool) - both dds - one 2 1/2 and the other 13 weeks seem to cope better than dh and I do with the heat. I tend to just put them in vest and nappies etc during the day - fans on and windows open. If dd2 gets a bit grumpy - then I just wipe her over with a tepid to cool flannel - head, neck, tummy. Here they say 24 degrees for the aircon.

Make sure he gets lots to drink during the day - I make sure dd's have lots to drink - making sure they keep hydrated.

I don't worry so much especially for dd2 - heat is all she has known in her short life.

bobbybob Wed 16-Feb-05 04:51:52

Regularly 26 in my ds's room. Okay that's not exactly 34, but it's not 18 either. I think it's the difference that matters, people in Bangkok died of hypothermia at 24 degrees.

He will be fine. Now when would be a cooler time to come to Perth? - always fancied it.

Chandra Wed 16-Feb-05 05:03:42

I think the "right temperature" is relative to each country, my house is always at 21 degrees. If an English comes through the door they start complaining about the heating and the baby overheating. If somebody dares to have a baby at the recommended 18 degrees in my country, somebody would call social services.

You don't say how old is your child, but if is less than a year is worth checking he's really asleep and not overheating. Be sure to give him plenty of liquids while he is awake. If he is feeling too hot a wet hand towel on his tummy may help a bit.
(We normally have over 40 in summer at home, but is, IMO too much for a young baby.

pinkwhistle Wed 16-Feb-05 05:11:02

OMG jammydodger I don't believe it - another Perth person. Me and suzywong are in Perth too!!!

Hasn't it been horrible. 42 degrees, it's just not right. Somewhere up north it was 47! Today is sooo much nicer (29 and humid).

18 degrees, r u serious?? I wouldn't set an aircon below about 24. I think the "heat" in the UK is different to here, correct me if I'm wrong. I think it is drier?? It is the humidity here that is the killer.

Oh and bobbybob, Perth in spring or autumn is LOVELY. Do come and visit!!

jammydodger Wed 16-Feb-05 06:14:52

Thanks all for the tips. Will do the cool flannel thing too.

Chandra - he's almost 7 months old, so past the time when I'd be really concerned re SIDS, but still, us paranoid first-timers...! I have increased his liquids as he passed some of those urate crystals the other day (at least I think that's what they're called), the pink stuff that is ok when new born but not at his age..so i've been giving him lots and lots of water and he seems fine now.

Bobbybob - we've not been here in autumn yet but the spring was lovely, it's such a fab place (and especially for kiddies I think).

Pinkwhistle - whereabouts are you? I'm in Nedlands. Thank god it's cooled down (till Saturday...)

pinkwhistle Wed 16-Feb-05 06:18:52

Ooh lovely, near the river. We're up in Landsdale. Think we get the seabreeze about half an hour after you. {grin]

pinkwhistle Wed 16-Feb-05 06:19:34

Oops I mean

jammydodger Wed 16-Feb-05 06:22:07

PW - yeah, this sea breeze is a bit of a life saver for us with our crappy air-con (have to say it wasn't quite up to the task yesterday though)...

I haven't heard of your area I'm afraid - I'll have a look on the map! (We only arrived a few months ago).

lucy5 Thu 30-Jun-05 16:34:32

Hi I know this is an old thread but its about 40 here today with wind that feels like you have a hot hair dryer blowing on your face and dd has a temperature. Countess if you around could you give me more info on the ice fan idea, it sounds great. What sort of fan is best? We have a tall standup one, would it be better with one you put on a table top? Thanks from a hot and sweaty Lucy5.

lucy5 Thu 30-Jun-05 19:22:39

bumping for Countess.

lucy5 Fri 01-Jul-05 00:20:02

Still hot still bumping!

lucy5 Fri 01-Jul-05 13:25:13

ditto

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now